iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Maple

Started by chance33, December 27, 2014, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chance33

Took down a 50" diameter sugar maple this afternoon. My ole 2172 Jonsered had all it could handle, me too. Anyway never saw the sap run like it did on this tree. My legs were soaked when I finished. It has been cold here, NW Pa., for the last 6 weeks so I would have thought the sap would be down by now? I'll have a lot of next year firewood now and my son will get some good turning crotches. Got 3 more biggies to bring down.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

Ocklawahaboy

Any slabs coming from those or all going to firewood?

chance33

Ockie,
My priority is getting the crotches, then cutting the limbs for firewood. I may slab some in the spring when the ground dries-up. The butt log is only 7' then many big limbs go everywhere. Don't know but figure there must be over 2 chords of firewood above the butt log.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

Magicman

The roots take up water when the ground is wet which is nothing to do with the season.  The "wettest" trees that I have felled have been during the Winter and after a heavy rain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!