iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese Privet... Would like it to be Chinese Privet... NOT!

Started by grweldon, October 22, 2012, 01:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Well, I just discovered that the nasty-looking, twisted-trunk shrubs that are all over my place are Chinese Privet... higlhly invasive...  it certainly is!

I did a Forum search on it and although I found some references, I didn't specifically see that many recommendations on how to eliminate it.  I figured there was no better place to ask than here!

Recommendations?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Radar67

I use the hack and skirt method with 2-4-D mixed 50/50 with water. I also add a sticking agent in with it. It is a lot of work, but you can get them under control.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

grweldon

Quote from: Radar67 on October 22, 2012, 02:44:12 PM
I use the hack and skirt method with 2-4-D mixed 50/50 with water. I also add a sticking agent in with it. It is a lot of work, but you can get them under control.

Sticking agent?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ianab

QuoteSticking agent?

Might also be called a "wetting agent". It's added to insecticides so that it actually sticks (wets) shiny leaf plants. Otherwise the drops of spray just run off some shiny leaf weeds before it can be absorbed and do it's job.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pineywoods

How to get rid of it ?  dozer with a root rake, big bonfire...I have bunches of the stuff, it's so thick I can't get to the trunks well enough to hack 'n squirt.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

grweldon

I'd love to have a dozer... or a tractor even... That's a no go.  Thanks for the suggestion...

WDH

A mix of 25% Garlon 4 and 75% diesel.  Use a backpack sprayer.  Do a basal spray on the lower trunks of the clump, spraying the stems from ground level to about 12" up the stem.  The Garlon label describes how to do the basal spray.  Much easier to do that hack-n-squirt because, with the wand on the sprayer, you do not have to climb into the clump.  When I say clump, you probably know what I am talking about if you have chinese privet  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Goats love it. We like it because it's good goat food, year round.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

I am not sure what would be worse.  Trying to keep goats in or the privet out  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Jeff

When we are spraying our food plots with pronto or the ditches with 2-4-d, we add about a quarter cup of dawn dish soap to the 15 gallon tank. That is our sticking agent.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

That is what I do too, Boss.  A couple of good squirts in a 3.5 gallon backpack sprayer.  Breaks the surface tension of the water in the spray mix so that it will coat the foliage well.  You can buy commercial surfactants that basically do the same thing.

Red Clay Hound

I have had good success spraying it with a 5% glyphosate (Roundup) solution.  Best time to spray is late winter when the days begin to warm up but before the deciduous trees and shrubs begin to leaf out.  I buy the generic Roundup (41% glyphosate) in 2.5 gallon jugs for about $40.  The kind I buy has the surfactant already in the solution.  With this technique you need to spray the whole plant and get the spray on as many leaves as possible.

I got a federal cost-share a couple years ago through the Georgia Forestry Commission to treat the privet on my property.  The method described above is the method recommended by the Forestry Commission.  On large tracts, they actually broadcast the spray from helicopters.  Since you are spraying while the hardwoods are dormant, it doesn't damage them and even the evergreen SYP is resistant to glyphosate damage at this time of year.

When I sprayed mine, I got about 90% control after the 1st year.  I went back the second year and sprayed anything that was still alive.  Worked very well. smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

up2themtn

I Spent a couple of weeks spraying Privet this past summer, I used a foliar application of Garlon 4 ultra and MES 100.  MES 100 serves as the surfactant.  I expect this would be easier than trying to get in and do a basal application or hack and squirt.

Peter Smallidge

For anyone seeking more information about the use of forest herbicides, here is a great reference from Penn State University.
The main page for forest vegetation management is http://extension.psu.edu/fvm

Here is a link to a super publication that covers many herbicide concepts and strategies
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/UH174.pdf

If Garlon 4 is restricted in your state, it is in NY, you may be able to buy it premixed as Pathfinder II.  Kerosene and diesel fuel may not be appropriate or recommended for use as a carrier by the manufacturer. [12/1/2012 - correction - both kerosene and diesel are listed as accepted oils in the manufacturers labels. Apologies for any confusion.]  Canola oil would likely work, and in volume may be less expensive.

Additional information and links about forest herbicides are here  http://cornellforestconnect.ning.com/forum/categories/project-profiles/listForCategory
Peter Smallidge
NYS Extension Forester &
Adirondack Woodlot Owner
http://cornellforestconnect.ning.com

WDH

The diesel for the basal spray is described in the label. 

Charles135

The 2-4-d will work and like Jeff I use a quarter cup of dish washing liquid as a sticking agent!
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

Okrafarmer

Profdan encourages the privett. He won't let me eliminate it, because it's one thing the goats can eat year round.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grweldon

What is the generic name of Garlon 4?  Is that the same as 2-4-d?  If so, I can't seem to find either here...

Claybraker

Quote from: grweldon on November 30, 2012, 08:48:21 AM
What is the generic name of Garlon 4?  Is that the same as 2-4-d?  If so, I can't seem to find either here...

Garlon 4 is the ester formulation of Triclopyr. Garlon 3 is the amine formulation. Also look for Remedy, or several generic options, Alligare in particular.  It's off patent, so you can save big bucks with generics.

What little I use, I normally order it online from a place over in Mississippi.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

grweldon

Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2012, 09:00:25 PM
I use the generic version, Remedy.

I'm resurrecting an old thread, but it could still be relevent to others.  I'm finally getting around to actually treating some of my chinese privet.  I'd like to add a dye to the spray so I can tell what I've sprayed.  Danny (or others), might you make a recommendation what to use as a dye?  I'm thinking I could buy some cheap oil colors in a tube and mix them with the deisel when I mix the remedy?

beenthere

Blue food coloring should work, but there is a blue dye apparently available where you get your spray chemicals or from TSC (Tractor Supply) also used when spraying brush killers.
Your oil colors might work too, so let us know how well it works.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

curdog

I can't remember the name of the dye that one of our backpack spray crews use, but I do remember them coming out of the cutover looking like smurfs. The next year they tied a spool of string on there belt and tied it off to a bush. As they walked they left a trail of string to mark the area that has been sprayed. It looked like a giant spider on crack walked through the cutover, but at least they weren't blue.

Thank You Sponsors!