iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circuit breaker

Started by revid, February 16, 2019, 04:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revid

can an 10 amp

ac circuit breaker be used in a dc setup?

Southside

I tried that once and could not get it do what I wanted, which was serve as a switch. No idea why it didn't work.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Whitman

If the dc voltage is at or over the rated and amps you are trying to break are  over the Max .It will arc over . From dealing with 135 vdc  it can get real nasty. Rich

maple flats

No, huge difference between a DC breaker and an AC breaker. The difference is related to the fact that in DC as you break the currant it will jump a big gap, AC does not do that, because the currant flow reverses flow 60x a second in the US, 50x in some countries (60 cycle vs 50 cycle). Inside a DC breaker there is a powder that interrupts the spark as it disconnects, AC does not need that. The breaker you show is for either, it has the powder inside.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

revid

So Maple Flatts, I can use this breaker for a 24 v system?

Thank You Sponsors!