iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yikes (Parts and tools check list)

Started by Jeff, October 04, 2005, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, I dont know whether to be excited or scared.  A fellow stopped by here yesterday after hearing I had a mill. He looked at the lumber we had milled in the fence and in our new little "Model Home" :D and seemed to be quite impressed with the quality of the lumber. He informed me the fellow that used to saw for them had retired and they needed to find someone new.   Anyway, Stacy and I have been hired to go a week from tomorrow and do our very first custom sawing job for him and another fellow.  About 1000 ft of red and white oak at each location. They have been informed that I am pretty decrepid right now and I cant lift or pull or do much of anything 'cept saw and they say thats fine. Stacy is going as my stop guard, dog watcher and dog setter. (She is going to make sure my blade is always higher then my dog and back stops so as we dont scare the new customers  :D)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Have fun!

Stacy will have a camera...right ???

Part_Timer

Congrats Jeff

You aint had fun till you sawyed into a dog in front of the customer. :) :)

First hand experiance here

Have fun

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Captain

...and so it begins.....

Bibbyman

Way to go!   8)

;) Make a list of everything you took when you left the house. 

:( Then, while you're there, collect a list of the things you should have taken but didn't. 

:D Then when you get done,  make a list of everything you took and then didn't need.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sigidi

Hey Way to go Jeff,

we all want piccys from your first custom job. Let us all know how it goes.

You'll do just fine, I'm putting my money on missing all your dogs ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Corley5

Won't be long and the need'll be there for that new LT 70 ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ga_Boy

get R done!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Todd

Jeff, I just got our new mill going and we had my wife and mother come down to the shop to show off our new toy.   A list of things to do to impress the spectators..

1.  Forget to put the log loader arms down and wonder what you're stuck on
2. Use log turner to completely throw log off of bed after first cut.(instead of rotating it)
3. Forget what your last cut was and waste 3 min. trying to relocate head.

Anyone can cut their dogs, you have to work to do stupid stuff!
Have fun.
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

Jeff

tburtscher, I am way ahead of the game then!

I dont have loading arms, just ramps and winch.

I have a cable log turner that I have never used that isnt capable of throwing off a log,
and
I have no setworks other then in my head so I'll be forgetting what my last cut was continuously, so know one should notice anything strange. :)

ronwood

Jeff,

Congrats on the  job. Most of the time they can be fun even though they are a lot of work. I have a number of customers that realy have been a lot of fun to cut for. I come over and their whole family is there. They treat my son and I like royality.

Also I have an Excel spreadsheet that I put together that gould help you position your cuts. If you like I would be happy to send it to you.

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

Ron, really in general, I dont have any problem with the cuts. I spent the last 25 years adding and subtracting fractions in my head so it comes pretty automatic. However, the spreadsheet certainly might be of interest to everyone if you want to share it. You can attach it to a post using the additional options link.  :)

crtreedude

Way to go Jeff - they will make a real sawyer out of you yet...  ;D

I am sorry, I just couldn't resist.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Jeff

Here is my off the cuff list of what I plan on taking with me, maybe someone else can help to complete my list.

Stacy
Full fuel tank with extra full can of fuel
full lube jug with extra jug
LogRite Cant hook(1) junk hooks (2)
LogRite hookaroon
Tool Box
Wheel chucks
drinking water
4 or 5 blades
chainsaw full of fuel and oil
The MILL!
mill ramps
My extra winch and battery
a few chunks of 6/4 and 4/4 for blocking up alog if needed. (I dont have toe boards on lt30)

ronwood

Jeff,

I will post it later today. Have to go to work now. On your list if you have your manual for the mill that may come in handy.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Minnesota_boy

Looks like a pretty complete list, but you need to add a prybar or some sort.  I prefer something like 5 foot long steel bar for those logs that just don't cooperate.  Add to that another 5 blades if you have them.  They haul home sharp just as easy as they haul to the job sharp, but they make such great insurance.

Since you are sawing oak, you probably don'e need that much lube for the blade, but once loaded, it hauls pretty nicely too.  Spare parts for the mill can be handy too, if you have them.  I carry switches, brushes for the motor, and anything else I can afford to keep on hand.  Extra belts for the blade wheels and the alternator can save a trip to town too.  Make sure you have blocking for themill stabilizers too.   I've often found the ground too soft to hold the mill up with just the stabilizer bottoms, big as they are, and sometimes they won't reach the ground if the site is too far off level.  Sometimes a spade is necessary to shave down a hump so the jack doesn't stick up enough to hit with the blade and will also work to shovel back the sawdust that builds up right where you walk.

I carry a pair of ski goggles in the truck to keep the hardwood sawdust out of my eyes on a windy day.  They seal up pretty well, remain comfortable over a long time and don't fog up easily.  If nothing else, make sure you and Stacy wear safety glasses.  Just a little piece of bark thrown by the blade that gets in your eye can sure hurt for a long time.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DouginUtah

I didn't see on your list:

Camera  ;D
Metal detector  :D
Hammer and chisel  :D
Hearing protection :(

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Corley5

A hydraulic jack can be pretty useful for any number of things and an axe might be handy too along with a big hammer ;) ;D 8)

Fla._Deadheader

A BIGGER truck  ;) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Bigger truck?  My mill aint a ten ton homie. :D  It only weighs 1800 lbs.

Octoman

How about a live web cam link so we can check up on your progress? smiley_computer_monitor  :o :D

Ronwood, would be interested in seeing that spreadsheet later! :P
WM LT 15 - Fortune favours the Brave!

Tom

A little first aid kit is handy.

I also came across a glass eye-cup one time that I bought and put in the glove compartment of the truck.  It sure has come in handy too.

The bigger injuries get ambulances so, tourniquets are the kinds of bandages you need for them.

The stuff you never have are the tweezers to get the splinters out and the bottle of rubbing alcohol to wash a cut and the little bandaids to close and protect a cut.

..........and a few pieces of hard candy makes a kid with a boo boo feel a lot better.

Fla._Deadheader

Bigger truck for haulin all the ACCESSORIES  ::) ::)  You'll be surprised how fast this list fills that truck  ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Uhhhhh................
Are we not forgetting something VERY important ???

FOOD! ;D

Corley5

Glass Eye Cup ???  Is that what your glass eye goes in because you forgot to take along and wear your safety glasses one time ???

Thank You Sponsors!