iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Check List

Started by Sixacresand, May 29, 2013, 01:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Seems like every time leave home or a site for pickup of logs, I forget, overlook or fail to check things.  So I made a check list to actually read and check off before I leave home or the log site.  I often get in a hurry especially when I get hot and tired, so maybe this will help.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Looks like a real nice checklist you've got there.

The only thing I've ever forgotten at the sawsite is the fenders for the sawmill.  I would then have to do a U-Turn and go get them.

I'm sure some will use the check list, but me, I'd probably forget to fill it out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

Nice list, whatever it takes is the way I figure it.  I like the idea, just figure I would forget to check the check list,, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

barbender

I like it. I might have to modify it a bit and use it myself ;) Lists are good for me ::)
Too many irons in the fire

JohnM

Six, that is a great idea!  When I was really into backpacking I had checklist just like this (only more backpackie ;D ::)), it was a huge help before a trip.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

AdamT

Quote from: Chuck White on May 29, 2013, 03:33:45 PM

The only thing I've ever forgotten at the sawsite is the fenders for the sawmill.  I would then have to do a U-Turn and go get them.

I've done that once! But only a single fender. Luckily I wasn't far from the site, and I turned around on Sawmill Road. Go figure

I'm always leery of leaving behind my jack bar for my outriggers.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

WDH

You forgot something...........

Truck  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on May 29, 2013, 08:17:48 PM
You forgot something...........

Truck  :D.
Thanks. hook trailer up to truck and then drive off in the car.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

Yes, you are gonna have to expand the list  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

I had one when I was doing a lot of mobile work. It changed a lot at first.

I have one now for doing my routine maintenance.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Sixacresand

I had a checklist when I used to do field work in the mines.  Among other things my list included chewing tobacco.  When you re addicted it don't take long to have a nicotine fit.  Glad I was able to give it up.

justallan1

I've forgot the phone, my work radio and even my lunch, but somehow I always have smokes or a can of chew. ;D

bandmiller2

What if you forget the list.?? I just keep what I need in my truck or in a box on the mill.You will always need something you don't have. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

GDinMaine

I don't do well with checklists.  However. I have not been doing this long enough to have a routine.  What I do now as I start packing up at home or at the site is go through the gear in my head.  When all are in the truck I start walking around the mill.  Clean it off put things in the proper position and so on.  I walk around the mill 4-5 times and keep going through the list in my head.  When I can't find anything else that needs to be positioned, put away, covered, hooked up or connected, I walk around the mill one more time to check if I really did everything the way it should be.  Then I start rolling and watch in the mirror if the mill is riding where it supposed to.
I try not to put anything behind the mill.  Cant hooks go on the loader side, all other tools and fenders stay between mill and truck or close to the truck, but out of the way.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Brucer

Frank, I keep extra copies of my checklists in my truck, as well as my portable office (i.e., cheap briefcase). I might be in trouble if I sell the truck :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Clarkey2286

Does anyone have a check list of order of operations for new LT 35 users? 

Such as:

Remover fenders
Check level
Tension belt
Etc.

Just basic stuff that beginners could forget and learn the hard way?

WV Sawmiller

My typical routine to set up my LT35 for a mobile job is something like this upon arrival at the job site:

1. Center the mill on the log pile and level mill side to side by placing scrap 1X6's under low side tire as needed

2. Chock the tire on the mill

3.  Unhook the mill from the truck and drop the front 3 landing gear to roughly level the mill - often I use some short scrap boards under the feet to level them.

4. Move and park the truck in a convenient location to access tools and blades as needed.

5. Remove the fenders and stage them under the mill so I don't forget them.

6. Unhook the safety chain

7. Raise head and run it to the front - lower the travel pin to the sawing position.

8. Drop and level the 3 real landing gear

9. Lower and disconnect the loading arms from the claw.

10. Raise the side supports, run the clamp out to the loading side.

11. Check the oil in the engine

12. Install new blade

13. Load a log on the loader arms.

14. Stage my tools where needed - I keep one old cant hook under the operator side to flip cants, when needed, a fire extinguisher, ATF squirt bottle and leaf blower at the front of the mill.

15. Brief helpers/by-standers on safe/unsafe areas, where they are to work and on their duties to load logs, remove slabs and finished boards. Ensure they know where they are to place the slabs and the boards.

(I do not let the helpers work behind me as they get in my way and distract me. Some sawyers want them to unload from behind them. I don't. I push the slabs and boards on to the bed rails and the flitches on to the loading arms.)

(I use a My Wood - Your Wood work/training process. Wood on the bed rails such as Scrap slabs and finished boards, is Your Wood and it needs to be removed quickly so it does not get in my way. Wood on the cant is My Wood and I'm still working on it or using it - I leave a stack of boards on the rails to edge against and they are not to be removed till I move them. Wood/Flitches on the loader arms is My Wood and I will edge them at the end of the cant. Any time the loader arms are lowered to the ground put a log on it. Before edging the flitches I lower the arms then I edge while they load the next log so I am never without wood to saw.)

16. Load, level and clamp the log for sawing.

17. Start sawing - slabs and boards go on the bed rails and flitches to be edged go on the loading arms.

(Initially I have to stop periodically to show the helpers how to load/turn logs to center them on the loading arms and reinforce any safety or work notes previously given and to show them how to sticker lumber if needed.)

18. When the cant is sawed to the rails I stand the flitches up against a stack of boards - the helpers help me do this and eventually can do it on their own - then I lower the arms and edge while they load the next log.

Repeat steps 16-18 till the job is done.

(If there is a lot of logs and they are being manually loaded I show the helpers how to throw down a few parallel slab cuts to make a track so the logs roll easier. If the distance becomes too far I may simply move the mill closer to make it easier on the help and speed the process.)

When finished I/we tally the lumber (I have a spreadsheet on my laptop and we jointly measure, count and I record the results) which spits out a tally and bill and I get paid at this time. I pretty much do the set up steps in reverse, check to make sure everything is properly raised and fastened down then I leave.

There are pre-trip tasks like filling the fuel and water tanks, briefing the customer on how the logs are to be prepped and set up and make sure they are ready to stack, sticker and store the lumber as it is cut. All costs, pay, help and customer responsibilities are discussed, clearly understood and agreed to before I ever come to the site.

While sawing other tasks come up like blowing the sawdust off the mill, lube, fueling, blade changes as needed, etc.

I'm sure I overlooked something but this is the gist of my mobile sawing. Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments or suggestions.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

I would add "don't let customer help getting the mill ready for leaving site". About 15 years ago someone "helped" me and as I was turning a curve on the road I noticed the sawhead assembly was not stable. I pulled over and noticed it was fastened down on only one side. It's a 4 post mill and must be fastened on both sides - duh. I should have checked his work.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!