iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Bill those should work fine,  maybe a light dusting with compressed air if they have been in a shop like mine.  Cheers!  Ours are expected to last for a limited time, but we will know when that time is up by degrade ect.  when the supply is ok, we will go back to using new when we need.  hopefully soon not needing as much!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on April 06, 2020, 02:23:47 AM
Bill those should work fine,  maybe a light dusting with compressed air if they have been in a shop like mine.  Cheers!  Ours are expected to last for a limited time, but we will know when that time is up by degrade ect.  when the supply is ok, we will go back to using new when we need.  hopefully soon not needing as much!
negatory on the light dusting with compressed air. even a light dusting can make minute holes in the fabric. Same as you never want to blow out your air cleaner with compressed air. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Magicman

It's well known here on the FF that I always wear a 3M N95 mask with an exhalation valve when sawing.  Nothing to do with the virus but sawing dust/particles.  I have always worn/used them until the elastic straps quit strapping.  I keep a stash and Marty also had a stash so he donated a full case of them to our local hospital.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

"light dusting"  you do not want to breath in dirt and dust either.  most folks at home wearing a homemade mask are to stop their airborne droplet from getting to others.  for an N95 to protect you, it has to fit well with no passage of air around it.  then it stops 95% of particles.  the virus is suspended in water droplets so they are stopped.  if you have virus on the outside, take off the mask with your hands and touch you face or rub you eyes, you will still get it.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bill

Doc - thanks for your words of wisdom.

I like the 72 hour info - so - when I found my mask ( there's a 9/2005 outside ) in the original plastic container,  I got out some simple green which I used to wipe down the box , took out the mask and wiped it down ( not the filters - they're like HD paper/fabric )  and set the mask aside for a 144 hour  wait - I'm a " better safe than sorry sort " . And even though its been under other stuff downstairs there was also a brand new in its packaging set of filters and a data sheet in the box .  Now I 'm looking for those clear painters goggles that fit over top of my prescription glasses . For those wondering - my basement is much like the warehouse at the end of " Raiders of the Lost Ark "

Heck - I feel like I just won the lottery - er I don't buy tickets so not likely as I am not so lucky

Lostinmn

I haven't seen it shared yet, so https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus is a great site for data based information based on the ECDC numbers.  

I'm a bit of a number cruncher by nature, so skipping the latest news headlines and viewing updates/change here is my go to.  They also do a decent job of saying what the numbers/charts illustrate and what they don't. Too many headlines don't provide context it seems like. 

Stay safe!!

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on April 06, 2020, 09:33:12 AM
"light dusting"  you do not want to breath in dirt and dust either.  most folks at home wearing a homemade mask are to stop their airborne droplet from getting to others.  for an N95 to protect you, it has to fit well with no passage of air around it.  then it stops 95% of particles.  the virus is suspended in water droplets so they are stopped.  if you have virus on the outside, take off the mask with your hands and touch you face or rub you eyes, you will still get it.
For sawing & milling type stuff i agree 137.8649%. 
Necessity is the engine of drive

doctorb

I was directed to a website that is new to me, as it has more of what I have been specifically looking for.  As each location across the country seems to have its own "curve", which depends on many factors, lumping all the data together can be misleading.  This is especially true given the preponderance of disease (and data) is centered around NYC.  BTW, I cannot verify the accuracy of the data used here, but I assume it's the same national and state data we are used to seeing.

This website deals with 3 charts.  Hospital resource use, daily deaths, and total deaths.  It gives you the data curve for each, and gives projections into the future out to August 4.  (No idea why they chose August 4 as an ending date).  You can choose to examine the entire USA, or use a drop down menu to select any state.  The data is quite illuminating.  For those who don't wish to go there, I will tell you that, as of today, they are projecting a total of 81,000+ deaths in the US.  While that sounds horrific, it's better than 100,000 - 240,000.  Have a look.  I am interested in what you think.

COVID-19

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ronwood

doctorb,

Could you verify that the link is correct. I was not able to bring it up.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

doc henderson

Our apex is pushed back predicted to be end of April.  so the no travel and social distance seems to be working,  lowering the peak but extending the time.  We are all doing what we can.  These are times requiring decisions that we all have the luxury of not having to make during normal times.  good lessons for our kids, most of whom get what they want, when they want it.  hang in there gents!

doctorb

ronwood -  

Thanks for the heads up.  Try the link in my original post now and let me know.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doc henderson

very good site and fits well with "just the facts"  working link now

doctorb

Hilltop366

Same thing here in Canada where the Quebec graph looks almost like the Canada one but many others like Nova Scotia are just about flat.

ps For some reason I thought about this movie after your last post.

Spies Like Us - Doctor - YouTube

doc henderson

JJ

Thanks for sharing DocB.
This gives me some comfort and I don't trust the infections/deaths/recovery posted on the Johns Hopkins site, as data going in is garbage from many countries (bad and inconstant tests, as well as political bias).

Much better to look at hospital admission rates, and fit to models from other countries and areas.   At least this data is clinical.

JJ

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: JJ on April 06, 2020, 07:05:40 PM
Thanks for sharing DocB.
This gives me some comfort and I don't trust the infections/deaths/recovery posted on the Johns Hopkins site, as data going in is garbage from many countries (bad and inconstant tests, as well as political bias).

Much better to look at hospital admission rates, and fit to models from other countries and areas.   At least this data is clinical.

JJ
I lost confidence in the John's Hopkin's baloney last week. Very skewed information and data with extremely poor listing of recoveries, even as of today it lags well behind the various states documented recoveries and they do not list their criteria for the data. This leads to a gross mis-representation of that state of the virus by the general public. I even got mad enough to send them and email (no response).
 DoctorB, thanks for that link. This date seems more rational and presents at least representation of what we MIGHT expect (I know, statistics, right?)
 Good stuff.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JJ

In my job, its all about sampling and confidence levels.
As soon as I hear 'I think', or 'my gut feeling', my statistical senses get tingley.

Lets hope to be at bottom of the confidence curve, maybe there will be game changer in treatment, but reporting data in this way gives me more confidence in the strategy of social distancing, and also what to expect..

JJ

JJ

The one thing I am curious and concerned about the self isolation, is once the restrictions are dropped from cities and states with high infection rates, will this now spread to areas of high self isolation when travel and commerce resumes.

from observation, I think official plan is to let the virus run its course though the population, at least for this year.

JJ

JJ

Quote from: JJ on April 06, 2020, 11:34:57 PMI think official plan

Like I said, based on zero data smiley_divide
amazing how appropriate that emoji is..

Gary_C

Quote from: doctorb on April 06, 2020, 05:04:01 PM
  Have a look.  I am interested in what you think.

COVID-19
Minnesota has their own web site at mn.gov and I've tried to compare numbers from the site you referenced (from Washington state) and had difficulty matching the numbers. MN only shows ICU beds and not total beds but the numbers do not seem to match between the two sets of data.
Also the NY data shows an extremely large shortage of beds right now and they are just one day away from peak needs but from daily pressers they are meeting their needs.
Curve fitting from a limited number of data points just at the beginning of the curve is a highly inexact exercise. The confidence limits for each state is low so when you add 50 states together you don't have much good info even if the data to date is accurate.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doc henderson

there may be a lag, as the county reports to the state, and states to CDC.  with testing still being somewhat limited, there are surely C19 deaths not reported as such.  We can now test who we want and send to a private lab in KC even if they do not meet state requirements for testing.  Any day now (we are told repeatedly)  the lab at our hospital will be able to do the rapid test.  everything is going to the areas hardest hit.  we are due in a few weeks but hope things are well mitigated.  we will see.  the data is tough and only gives a direction.

SwampDonkey

The JH data is not real time, but by end of day it reflects what is reported by our provinces chief medical officer. Like anything else, people pick and choose what numbers they like. :D It's been said before that some countries out there believe the numbers can be as much as 60 % higher than have been diagnosed. Since there are those infected and not showing symptoms, that diminishes the numbers a bit from hospital visits. :D I've seen statistics used to get two different conclusions on the same data. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

When this is over with, it will be interesting to compare the numbers from last year's flu season, where the CDC says somewhere around 80,000 deaths occurred in the US. They also said the numbers were abnormally high, not the norm at all. Probably the worst flu season in a long time. I'm sure there will be all kinds of analysis on the numbers when the time comes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

Thank You Sponsors!