iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

guide roller flat spot

Started by cypresskayaksllc, August 05, 2011, 10:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypresskayaksllc

I was sawing some cypress and the bark got wedged between the guide wheel and something else. This prevented the guide wheel from turning. The blade wore a flat spot on the guide wheel. I only noticed because it makes a chattering sound. It seemed to still cut good. I orderd some replacment guide wheels.
Does this happen often? I haven't found any other post about it.   
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

redbeard

I have a machinist buddy who tries them up on his lathe it dosent matter if one is smaller than the other.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

tyb525

It happens fairly often, however it won't cause a flat spot if you remove the debris in time. A flat spot on the guide wheel can cause premature band breakage, as well as excessive vibration.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cypresskayaksllc

Yeah. My band broke about 500 bdft after I wore the flat spot. Ill keep an eye on those guides for now on.
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

ladylake

Quote from: redbeard on August 05, 2011, 12:44:20 PM
I have a machinist buddy who tries them up on his lathe it dosent matter if one is smaller than the other.

Same here but he charges me a few bucks,  siince installing a good chip deflector it rarely happens anymore .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!