iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tramp and it taint metal

Started by bandmiller2, August 05, 2011, 07:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

First time in years of bandmilling damaged a band I can't fix,hit one of those DanG  ceramic fence insulators burried deep in a red oak.New timberwolf band all the teeth were pointing up kinked and cupped severly.There are few things worse to hit. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nothing like a GOOD scaring story on a Friday night. Now this makes the hair stand up on my neck!!!!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JSNH

Good thing you were not running the circle mill. I know a retired sawyer he hit one. He dove away from the blade. Most of the teeth and shanks deflected into the roof leaving a rough hole. Blade junked.He was ok got to saw another day.

zopi

Taint metal...there is a joke in that...

Took the top out of a tree the other day...fortunately caught it before it went into my chipper....had a whole bungee cord stuck in a branch...hooks and all...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WH_Conley

I saw a chainsaw go through a chipper one day. It wasn't pretty.

It wasn't my saw either.
Bill

zopi

Which makes it funny...
I cannot imagine how *pithed I would be if that were my equipment....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kansas

Back early in our milling career we were doing a custom sawing job. Mostly junk logs, but there was one nice walnut. About 4 passes in the saw head stopped moving and made a terrible noise. The blade was ruined. We dug out an insulator. Not a scratch on it. We looked at the tree and figured we were safe to go ahead. 3 passes later, we hit the second one. They had run a 2 strand electric fence.

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: JSNH on August 05, 2011, 08:59:17 PM
Good thing you were not running the circle mill. I know a retired sawyer he hit one. He dove away from the blade. Most of the teeth and shanks deflected into the roof leaving a rough hole. Blade junked.He was ok got to saw another day.

I run a circle mill, and I run through 2 ceramic insulators in the same cut on a sycamore log this week,  It didn't send teeth or shanks through the roof.  That's a bunch of baloney.  It dulled the teeth, and it took a little longer to get them back into shape.  The saw is still hanging on the arbor, and I continued to cut all week with the blade and the teeth. 

If the shanks were ripped out, as you describe, then they were too loose in the sockets to be worth anything.  Saw maintenance is the key to good sawing, no matter what type of mill you have.  I've hit dozens of insulators and never destroyed a saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jcbrotz

A insulator was the first piece of hardware I hit 11 foot into a 12 log stopped the 33hp kobuta dead in its tracks. I could not belive it stalled it right out & I'm kinda a slow learner so I did it 2 more times best part was after I cut the log off to 11 foot I sawed the rest of the log with that blade, knocked a tooth or three out of set but didn't destroy it.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!