iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tramp metal collection!

Started by T Welsh, December 04, 2011, 08:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Is it just me or do you guys keep the metal or whatever you hit while sawing?I was out in the wood shop the other day and a buddy stopped by and I ran a slab through the planer for him and he commented on my collection of stuff hit while sawing,its all stuffed up in the rafter bays! he was all over then and asking if it killed the blades ect. I,ll get a picture later today,must have 20 or so pieces. does anybody else keep them and have pictures too ;D 

These where the only photos I had in the computer,but they are good ones :o. Chased this for an hour and it would not stop so I cut it off the end of the log and lost about 2 feet of good cherry log. lets see some pic,s Tim

Magicman

I have often wished that I had kept them all, but I did keep this one.  It was completely imbedded in a SYP log.

T fence post.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Magic,I havent kept all of the stuff,but I have a tool box on the mill and I throw the nails and stuff into it. I have to clean it once a year and throw all the stuff into a box. and over the years its starting to get pretty full,mostly nails from posters and lag hooks from clothes lines ;D Tim

Chuck White

I do same as Tim!

When I hit something, I'll throw the pieces in my tool box.

Mostly I'll hit nails & bullets, but once in a while, I'll get a sheetrock screw.

The sheetrock screws will ruin a blade in no time flat, whereas a nail will usually just take the set out of the blade!

I think most of this stuff is in a box on my bench!

I guess I'm kind of lucky, I don't have a big collection!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jcbrotz

I gotta get a picture of it but I just hit a horseshoe in the crotch of a walnut tree. Me thinks it was the 5th piece of hardware (nails and 2 lags) I hit I know it was the 4th and final blade. The gentleman I was sawing for then hit the horseshoe with his chainsaw mill trying to salvage the wood. I got the horseshoe its the first thing I have kept but I will keep all the "cool" things I hit from here out. I do wish I kept the porcilan insulator I hit on my very first log on the new tome woodmizer but I didn't.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Ron Wenrich

One year, I pulled all the nails and metal out of the logs. I filled a coffee can with the stuff.  RR spikes are a lot of fun.  So are rocks.  The most interesting thing I hit was a ball peen hammer head.

If you search the forum, you'll find several threads on trash found in logs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

zopi

Lol...the 22 slug I divided into two eleventy elevens is in the mill box..but otherwise.no. lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

T Welsh

OK Guys, got to take a picture of my collection!

These are the ones I had to dig for,I guess thats why I kept them. 

This is the all time mack daddy of a sum b-tch,I ruined a blade,couldnt get it to back out of the kerf,wedges and all so I broke it off in the log to get head back,took the saw to get the blade out and hit it inside to log and ruined a chainsaw chain too. Tim

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
Start a museum.   ;D
I,ll charge 5 cents to look at a bunch of metal in wood and a coffee can half full of cut nails :D Tim

customsawyer

One of the worst things that I hit is cotton picker spindles that people put in for climbing up to deer stands. I don't know what those things are made out of but your blade will not put a grove in one. I have even cut a 16 penny nail in half length wise but have never cut a spindle.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pineywoods

amen on the cotton picker spindles. I've hit a couple. Never even scratched them, trashed the blade..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dutchman

The worst I've hit were ceramic insulators.
There were 3 in a cherry log, about 4" in on one side.
Even skinned one with the chain saw when I cut it short.

sealark37

As late as 1940, sawmills in North Georgia refused to buy logs that came from battle sites of the War of Northern Aggression.  These areas were well known, and had the reputation for lots of iron and lead embedded in logs.  Regards, Clark

logboy

In the process of digging out the lower one I found the upper one. 24" White Oak.  I got greedy and tried to cut the log off 2 feet  away. I hit something in the very middle and ruined the chain. It went to the landfill.

Couple years ago I sawed another that was full of stain in the very middle and beeped on the detector. There was nothing there though.  It had a fence staple or something on it when it was only a year or two old.  After 40 years it was completely dissolved.

I didnt hit it but I found a 16 penny with the detector, 17' up an Ash log. Still not sure how or why it was there.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Magicman

logboy, there is always a possibility that whatever was in that log was centered in one of your boards.   ;D

sixteenacrewood

I am actually hoping to find some metal in my next tree! Next month I'll be cutting up a giant Deodar Cedar that saw the civil war first hand. If I find something I'll post a photo

logboy

Magicman, it was completely gone.  I kept using the detector to see how close I was.  When I was right on it I went to town with the saw and axe. All I got was stained wood.  Too bad RR spikes and lag screws dont dissolve like that.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

terrifictimbersllc

I had one like that too, in maple.   The board sounded off at the stain but we dug all through it and nothing but gray stained wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Could have been residue from an old nail that had been pulled, and left particals in the wood!

A good magnet would probably pick up minute fragments from the area in question.

The reason I say this is because I have opened up logs with nails or staples inside and they sometimes look like they've only been in there a couple of years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That was my concern/thought Chuck.  If a nail, etc. is sticking out of a tree, the inside part is usually in better shape than the outside part.

I now suspect that an "event" took place when that tree was small and the metal was removed.  But....anything is possible.  As logboy found no metal, maybe the tree ate it.   ;D

Bert

Anybody ever wonder why you dont hit metal until you have new teeth in your saw? (or blade if your a bandmiller) I swear I could saw fence posts with a set of worn out teeth and not hit a thing, but put in a new set of teeth and saw the top of a 40' tree and hit something. Oddest thing I hit was a tap in a sugar maple tree. No signs it was in there.

Last week with new  teeth in my trim saw I cut a 16 penny nail. It was horizontal in a 2x8. Never hit or saw any other nails when the log was on the mill.
Saw you tomorrow!

hackberry jake

I used to workaround a high output three phase circle mill. A guy I worked with had had a pretty DanG good collection. The most impressive to me was a padlock that was set in the crotch of a tree. He said it stopped the carriage and sent half the shanks/teeth through the sheet metal roof. Wish I coulda seen that.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

Quote from: Bert on December 08, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
I swear I could saw fence posts........ new set of teeth and saw the top of a 40' tree

That struck me as very funny, because folks that remember my original post about hitting this T fence post will remember that it was in the log approximately 43' up from the butt.  I had already sawed two 20' logs and it was broken off beneath the bark in the third log.

T Welsh

hackberry jake, When you said circle mill it reminded me of the sawyer I used to get my logs milled at,I broke a bucket tooth off in one of the logs I gave him to saw. I came back to pick up the lumber and he had it in his hand and he told me what happened,I pulled my wallet out and bought him a full set of inserts for his blade. I didnt have enough money left to pay him for the sawing. He jumped on his loader and loaded me and said pay me when ever you get back around. the next morning I got coffee and stopped and paid him. we became best of friends after that and had a 25 year friendship until he passed away about 10 years ago,I think that is where I got the sawdust bug. He kept that bucket tooth on his desk as a paper weight for over 20 years ;D Tim

Thank You Sponsors!