iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old bands or band tension?

Started by shinnlinger, July 30, 2020, 09:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hello, 

I have a 15 yo Turner trailer tire bandmill that I did a lot of work with years ago.  Milled my house as  a bunch of other stuff.  Probably 30kbdft worth.   But in recent years it mostly sat but this summer my 17yo daughter decided to move out and started building a tiny house.   We tuned up the mill and it runs great.   Our problem is the wavy cut issue and I know that's typically dull bands but I have a pile of bands from back in the day and I think most  were sharp but are now rusty from sitting.  I can usually tell by feeling/inspecting but any pointers there?   Should I just buy new ones?
Also band  tension.  I used to fire up the mill and crank the tighten bolt until the band stopped flapping with good results but maybe my technique could use refinement?  

Thanks 

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

farmfromkansas

How are the tires on the old mill?  No experience with rubber tire mill, heard Turner company no longer builds mills.  Do you have a book, wonder what the tire pressure should be?  You could send your bands to be sharpened, cheaper than new blades, Cooks will clean them up and sharpen them. Do you have a sharpener?
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

terrifictimbersllc

One can tell if a blade is sharp by looking at the tips with a 10x hand lens. Rust will come off when sawing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

trimguy

The rust will cause drag and cause problems. The mill I built was a rubber tire mill and that is how I tensioned the blade, but I would always give it " a little more ".

Den-Den

My mill uses tires, on mine the tire pressure needs to be right for the tracking to be right.  Wavy cuts on my set-up is caused by dull blade, not enough set or sap build-up.  Extra tension may delay the problem for a cut or two but that is all.  Any rust is usually worn off in the first cut but I have not tried any blades with heavy rust.  If I had some rusty blades, I would set the teeth and sharpen before using them.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Wintergreen Mountain

I have a Turner Mill.

I run tire pressures at 36lb.

Make sure the guide bearings are turning free . Back, Top and bottom.
 If they sat for years they are no good.

Top and bottom bearings are 
6301 2RS-10
Back bearings are VV300

Adjust the guide top and bottom bearings to align  blade with the deck.

Blade tension.  Adjust to take the limp  out, than adjust the screw 1 1/2 inch more. This will put about 8-9000 lbs tension on the band blade.

Hope this will help you.

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Stephen1

I would say the blades are dull if they have rust on the teeth into the gullet. If the blades are pitted then new blades will definitly help .Surface rust will rub off as you saw. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Iwawoodwork

I got some dull blades  (6-8) with my saw when purchased, They have surface rust on them, I got one out today and sharpened it with a Dremel using a 3/8" diameter stone just touching up the face/tip an very little of the gullet and it seemed to cut ok for this newbe wood butcher, was cutting Juniper which is like cedar.  Kbeitz wrote about sharpening his bands this way with good results so I decided to try it.    You have nothing to loose sharpening up and trying some of those old bands.

YellowHammer

Rust is caused by the metal oxidizing, and if there is rust on the band then the cutting edge and chisel corners, which really need to be sharp, have turned into rust also, and "gone away."    

New or freshly sharpened bands are always a good idea for troubleshooting a mill. 

I notice a decrease of cutting ability if I simply leave a sharp band on the mill and come back to it a couple days later.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

So your saying a slight surface rust can make a difference after a couple days. What if you took it off and wiped it down with a scotchbrite in oily residue and put back on 🤔

Wintergreen Mountain

I think WalnutBeast is referring more to the rusting and possible pitting and damage to the sharp tip of the hook. The tip is very thin and can be rust dulled very fast.
    I have experienced this phenomenon my self. 

Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Wintergreen Mountain

I meant to help answerer YelowHamer with My last post. Not Walnut Beast. 
   Leon 

YellowHammer

Correct, a light or general surface dusting of rust on the main body of a band doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, it scrapes off the first cut or two.  However, the super sharp teeth edges of the band, the chisel edge and the tips of the teeth corners, are by their nature, very thin and don't have much metal to loose.  So when they rust, even slightly, the metal that makes them sharp, scrapes off.  So the tips go from razor sharp, to duller, in a short period of time.  Maybe not dull, but certainly duller.  

The sharper the cutting surface, the thinner the metal is at that point, and the more the effect of oxidation will have on overall sharpness.

Basically, if I turn the mill off in the evening, leave the still sharp band on, and come out the next day and restart sawing, there is no problem.  If I leave the band on over the weekend, and restart sawing on Monday, I have a noticeably duller band.  Sometimes I just go with it, sometimes I will swap it out.

Here's a magnified picture of a sharp tooth.  Notice how thin the cutting surfaces and cutting corners are.  Just like the edge of a woodwork chisel.  Now imagine what rust would do to the edge of a razor sharp knife, a woodworker's chisel, or bandsaw tooth.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

Very nice insight YellowHammer. I will definitely keep that in mind 👍

Wintergreen Mountain

shinnlinger

Have you got your old Turner Mill operating again yet, and if so how is it sawing?

Thank You Sponsors!