iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Muskeg Skidder

Started by J 5, July 10, 2020, 06:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J 5

Just finished this Muskeg, picked it up in oct 2017, it was an ex ontario hydro machine. At the time I was getting ready to use another hull and build a copy of a Jimmy Skidder, but this unit popped up , with only 400 hrs on a rebuilt dodge 318, to good to transform into a Jimmy.
         Tore it down, the usual suspension rebuild underneath, diff was good, clutch replace, 20 gallon pump  mounted off the crank, air compressor for the gearmatic, built a boom with fairlead and generally added what I wanted , for playing in the bush.
        I still plan on keeping my 2  J 5's as they are pretty nimble in tight spots . In the last couple months 2 Jimmy's showed up in my area, 1 for sale and the other in use by a distant neighbor..... never fails.  May have get one yet , or build one .
                                                                        J 5

moodnacreek

Nice work. Sounds like you know these machines. Why is it that when you settle for something the one you really wanted comes along.

gspren

That is neat looking, I have absolutely no need for something like that but I'd love to have it anyway! 8)
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

J 5

Quote from: gspren on July 10, 2020, 08:36:57 AM
That is neat looking, I have absolutely no need for something like that but I'd love to have it anyway! 8)
Yes , when the hull is stripped to a bathtub and your 16 wheels need  32 bearings repacked or replaced and  axles are bent. It crosses you mind "do I really need this "  !
   Unfortunately it's an addictive hobby for me.... I can't get enough of them !
                                                                      J 5

sprucebunny

I can't wait to see pictures of it hauling logs !

I did really enjoy working on my J5 and Muskeg but for various reasons didn't actually use them much. The Muskeg wouldn't turn with my log trailer attached and loaded; a physics problem that I don't understand and the J5 is a little light to tow the trailer but I do get around with the J5/trailer when half loaded on unsteep ground.

I even came to enjoy changing races and bearings ! And rebent each of the track backing plates for one track. I should change belts on the other track this summer to stay busy.

You are so lucky to have your machine shop tools and knowledge  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Andries

Quote from: sprucebunny on July 10, 2020, 12:41:52 PM.   .   You are so lucky to have your machine shop tools and knowledge  :) 
Luck can play a big part, but dedication,  energy and smarts also play a big part.
😆
Keep up the good work J5, loving these posts
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

BrushSaw

@J 5 what model Gearmatic are you putting on the Muskeg?

Where do you source most of your muskeg parts?  

Looking forward to more updates.
can't have anything nice...

dgdrls

Quote from: J 5 on July 10, 2020, 12:25:01 PM
Quote from: gspren on July 10, 2020, 08:36:57 AM
Yes , when the hull is stripped to a bathtub and your 16 wheels need  32 bearings repacked or replaced and  axles are bent. It crosses you mind "do I really need this "  !
  Unfortunately it's an addictive hobby for me.... I can't get enough of them !
                                                                     J 5

The question becomes can I really do without it??  ;)
Its a dandy machine,  well done!
D

J 5

Quote from: BrushSaw on July 11, 2020, 12:03:04 PM
@J 5 what model Gearmatic are you putting on the Muskeg?

Where do you source most of your muskeg parts?  

Looking forward to more updates.
Gearmatic N7A , 15000lbs one wrap on drum, 6612 lbs full drum .
        Muskeg parts the search never ends , and the prices keep climbing. That's  the only drawback  when it comes to these machines. 
                                    J 5

Pine Ridge

I've never saw one of them in person, pictures only. It looks good, you've done some nice work there and you should be proud of it.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

J 5

Not much snow here, makes for a rough ride. Hauled seven loads, with about four left, overall the Muskeg worked well , lots of power from the 318. Hope to do some skidding later on .
                                                                J5

thecfarm

Looks good. Wood does not, but makes good firewood.  ;D  I cut out the junk too. 
How are you loading that trailer?  I see a loader at the yard?
I could use one of those to cut the bog off. I cut some, but takes a lot of walking with a cable to do it. I walk out with 150 feet of cable, than hook another 100 feet to that. The deer like it when I am in there.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

J 5

Full time job cutting the dead stuff, with a bit of green mixed in when the temps drop, our outside furnace is not picky.
                    Clam to load and push it off the trailers with the Loader/tractor back home, it doesn't get much easier !
                                J5

thecfarm

Oh yea, don't forget the skidding pictures.   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

Really neat thread.  Thanks!
Liking Walnut

Iwawoodwork

Your  photos of you Muskeg rebuild were good, I had not thought about the idle wheel bearings.  I have a "Jimmy" muskeg that has a 3 cyl Detroit, I broke the track on one side and have not repaired it yet, one of those "get to it" jobs that seems to keep  getting put off. Have since purchased a Cat D3 and  a Oregon Logger rubber tire skidder  and a Hitachi ex50 excavator so seem  to be always servicing them.

J 5

I'd be all over that Jimmy Skidder,  like a Fat kid on a Smartie  Lol ! Post some pictures if you get a chance .
                             J 5

J 5

Not much of the white stuff and nice temps , so we spent some time in the bush yesterday. First time to skid with the Muskeg, a few minor Hyd leaks to take care of, but it did well pulling some old maples out on some rough ground.
                                             J 5

thecfarm

Thanks for the skidding pictures!!!

SwampDonkey

I know a fella that used a F4 Dion forwarder. I see some used in Ontario as well as Quebec. It's quite old iron by now, anyone keeping them going. I used to see these machines once in awhile in Atlantic Forestry. ;D I've not had the magazine in awhile as it was mostly NS forestry after awhile. Logging and Sawmill Magazine was another source.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

lshobie

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: lshobie on January 06, 2022, 01:57:58 PM
Mines a little smaller, but I like yours!
            [url=https://youtu.be/goxYa1Ijihg]Track Skidder Logging Day. - YouTube           [/url]
Great video . Very nice machines for sure . If ever Covid ends would love to visit your operations . 
Love to see those old machines rebuilt and bouncing through the woods .
Quebecnewf 

lshobie

John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

Tim

@J 5 I'd trade you a tour of your machine for a tour of our shinglemill if you are in the Pembroke area at some point. I even have a 318 in a Ram 1500 that I have more use for the frame than the engine, if you are interested in having a spare around.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

lshobie

Quote from: Tim on January 11, 2022, 09:07:40 AM
@J 5 I'd trade you a tour of your machine for a tour of our shinglemill if you are in the Pembroke area at some point. I even have a 318 in a Ram 1500 that I have more use for the frame than the engine, if you are interested in having a spare around.
Im not far from you, do you buy cedar logs?

Tim

Quote from: lshobie on January 11, 2022, 07:13:35 PMIm not far from you, do you buy cedar logs?

I do buy cedar logs Ishobie
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!