iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tj200 oil pump replacement?

Started by krusty, January 05, 2022, 03:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

Q1: anyone have a service manual for the ford 172 gasser?

Q2: bushmechanic et el.....think i can get the 172 tilted up enough to get the oil pan out without taking the whole engine out?

Seem to have had a little ice buildup in the oil pan and while it is all drained and emptied and such....and fresh oil....am getting little to no oil pressure. 

Totally my fault I guess but I dont want to pop the engine out if I dont have to.  I cursed alot last time I swapped a better 172 into it.

I guess to be optimistic, there wont be any bugs in the bush this time round :)

krusty

From what I have read, there is a shaft that sometimes strips between the distrib to the pump itself. Maybe that is the problem and will check it tomorrow if warm enough. It started off pumping oil fine after the change and then slowly tapered off in volume and pressure at which point I shut the engine down.

C5C Tree Farmer

Service manuals for the Ford 172 gas are available on ebay.

There is a hex driveshaft between the distributor and the oil pump. You should be able to artificially drive the oil pump after removing the distributor.  A 3/8" speed wrench with the appropriate size 6 pt socket should do the job. 

Your problem could be a simple as the relief valve on the oil pump stuck open. Artificially warming the oil pan area may help.

krusty

Thanks for the tidbits. Think I can chuck right onto that hex shaft with a cordless drill? Supposed to get super cold tonite and warm up sunday so wilm stick a magnetic oil pan heater on it then. The block was well warmed up from the block heater but that would barely impact the relief valve.

I am aware of the hooks for purchase but many times they are online somewhere at no charge.

C5C Tree Farmer

The oil pump driveshaft is below the camshaft so it is unlikely that it can be reached with a drill chuck.
Back in the day the speed wrench method was used to prelube Ford V-8's after engine assembly. Socket size was 3/8" or 5/16" 6 pt.  No cordless tools back then although I don't see why it wouldn't work with the proper adapters.

Free service manual PDF's seem to be a thing of the past. In almost all cases the "user fee" is only a little less expensive than the used paper service manual cost. I'd rather have the book.

Cold here ...-30F forecast for tonight.

Thank You Sponsors!