iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a new saw- can't decide between 385 and 390

Started by Blue Duck, December 27, 2006, 02:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Duck

Afternoon fellows.  I'm stepping up to a bigger saw for my part time logging operation.  I primarily cut pines and smaller hardwoods with the ocasional big tree to take down.  I realize either of these saws is plenty horsepower for such an application but there is only $80 and very little weight difference in the two.  I just wondering what the pros and cons are in both saws and if it would be worth the extra money for the little bit of extra power. 

Thanks for the input.
I don't know what your ambitions are in life..
but you ain't gonna get them done drinkin decafe coffee

jokers

Hi Ghost River,

It is my understanding that the 390 is reppalcing the 385 in the lineup and that it`s built on the same chassis. I`m surprised that there is any weight difference at all.

If the pine you cut are not too large and the hardwoods are not either, as you have stated, I would look for a 372. If your mind is set on either the 385 or 390, I`ll probably lean toward the 390 as the 385 is slightly underpowered for it`s weight IMO.

sawguy21

I would probably opt for the 385 and keep the 80 bucks. The 390 bore is, I believe, only  1 mm more so the difference in performance is probably small. What bar are you running?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Blue Duck

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 28, 2006, 08:48:47 AM
I would probably opt for the 385 and keep the 80 bucks. The 390 bore is, I believe, only  1 mm more so the difference in performance is probably small. What bar are you running?

I run a 20 on my current saw but I'm thinking of stepping up to atleast a 24", maybe even a 28".  I'm about 6'1" and fairly strong and like to be able to stand up a little straighter when I'm limbing to take some of the pressure off my back.  What would you suggest?

Kcwoodbutcher

I run a 385 with a 28". I'm 6'3" and it does keep my back a little straighter. The 28 balances pretty  well also. I also have a 42" for it that I use for ripping large logs to fit on the mill.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

rebocardo

> I'm about 6'1" and fairly strong and like to be able to stand up a little straighter
> when I'm limbing

372 running a 32" bar for the limbing, otherwise the 385 (tad heavy for limbing, imo) and a 36" bar.

I would skip the 390. Why? Never buy the new model anything if it is the "only" one of what you need for work.

Example, I like Fords, I pity anyone that went and bought a brand new work truck with a new 6.0 diesel in it if it was their only work truck/dd.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 28, 2006, 08:48:47 AM

That is true, but there are other improvements also, as I understand it, at least the clutch - and a power difference that may be notisable (.2 kW/.3 hp).

Stated weight difference is .1 kg.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: rebocardo on December 28, 2006, 08:42:46 PM....

I would skip the 390. Why? Never buy the new model anything if it is the "only" one of what you need for work.

I don't get what you mean, the 385 have been around for some years, and the 390 isn't much different....... ::)
Information collector.

rebocardo

> and the 390 isn't much different.......

I was talking about the 390 just being introduced, I have never seen it at my local dealer or in Baileys catalog.  I have seen more then one thing "almost the same" that ended up being worse then the original. So, I let everyone else be paying test platforms on things I do not have to buy that cost more then $100.  ;)

TexasTimbers

I have limbed alot with my 372 with a 28" bar and it is nice to have all that power. I don't have to bend over with it much as I am only 5'7". But after 3 or 4 hours lately, my back gets to where it thinks the pwoer is not as important as the ease of use.
The few times I have used the 372 on a 8+ hour day by the end of the day I am carrying underneath my arm pit wishing it was carrying me.
For a full two to three non-stop hours though I can whack away at it.
Have a new (to me) Husky 345 I am going to open the muffler and hoping it will come somewhere even close  to the ballpark as far as power. Think it will come anywhere close just in regards to limbing?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

Quote from: rebocardo on December 30, 2006, 12:56:26 AM
> and the 390 isn't much different.......

I was talking about the 390 just being introduced, I have never seen it at my local dealer or in Baileys catalog.  I have seen more then one thing "almost the same" that ended up being worse then the original. So, I let everyone else be paying test platforms on things I do not have to buy that cost more then $100.  ;)
As far as I know, the only differences are the larger bore/more power, and a sturdier clutch on the 390xp....

IPL 390/385
Information collector.

Allison

Hi guys,I'm 5' 11" and find a 32" bar just great for lmbing or bucking, that bit of reach sure saves your back. I've also found that letting the saw ride the top of my hip when I can takes some of the strain of my back and arms for us older folk. The guy who taught me that had logged for close on 40 yrs. so it's not just for "weak" women 8)

Be Safe, Allison :) :)

Blue Duck

8)

Well, I went into the local sawshop yesterday and walked out with a new Husqvarna 385XP with a 28" Forester Pro series bar and chain for $779+ our outragious sales tax in NC. 

I think I did alright.  I could have purchased it cheaper from Bailey's or one ofthe EBAY sellers but there is something to be said about supporting those that will be seviceing you in the future.  I've been up there on a rainy day and people will be bringing in saws they bought at Lowe's or Tractor Supply and Bob will put a tag on them and set them on the shelf to be worked on.  But if you bring in a saw that he sold he'll clear the bench and work on it while you wait.  You go to the front of the line and I can't say that I blame him.   

parrisw

Looks like you got yourself a good saw.  Let us know how that beast cuts!!

Thank You Sponsors!