iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingblade Sharpening, when to change tips?

Started by quadracutter222, September 13, 2020, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadracutter222

Hello all, a quick question for circle/swing blade folks.

How do you know when your tips have had their last sharpen?  I have heard there is a width over the thickness of the side plate, but have yet to nail it down.

Cheers!

Ianab

I don't have any exact number, but I find that as the tips get worn down they become more prone to chipping / breaking. When that happens it's time to swap out the blade and get it re-tipped. You often don't even notice a tooth missing until you go to sharpen. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Don P

About half of ours get damage, the rest slowly change sound, require more effort and we've run a couple till they start rubbing the plate and getting hot and flutter, well overdue.

scsmith42

I've run tips down to where they were 1/8" or so thick w/o any problems.  Usually they start chipping first.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

longtime lurker

yeah soon as your cuts aren't intersecting right, or they're just looking thin.

Mind I run oversize teeth where I had to recut the pockets due metal fatigue so... different alloy, mine are a bit softer than the factory spec so less brittle and don't chip out ... individual mileage may vary.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!