iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a Scragging

Started by ARKANSAWYER, July 02, 2007, 06:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Well the Power Company finally came and hooked up my 3 phase power so now I am HOT.  So I hooked up my Moragn Mini Scragg on an extension cord and fired it up today.  Mostly was cutting junk pine tops into 4x4's to stack on.  Man! what a sweet deal.  That little darling can really spit out some cants.  I could wear out two men most quick on the tail end and the loader could not bring logs fast enough.

On the back end you have to be awake because there are three pieces coming out every time and I was shoving them in nose to tail.  I sure cleaned up a pile of junk and now have plenty to stack on.  I will be taking 8 ft pine logs tomorrow and knocking the bark off and then sawing them 2 at a time on the LT40.  That will really save me some time and blades.

ARKANSAWYER

logwalker

That is a truly awesome machine there Arky. Could you possibly elaborate on the setup of the machine. I have never actually seen one up close. Have fun, Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

ARKANSAWYER

The scragg mill is two 36 inch circle blades set on an arbor that will allow them two move like an edger.  It has a chain that feeds between the blades on a track and will push a log through.  Each pass it cuts two slabs and then you pass it through again and then have a cant.

If you look in the photo you can see the dog on the chain that catches the end of the log.  Then it just shoves it through the blades.
  This mill adjust from 3 1/2 inches to 9 inches wide and does up to 16 dia logs 8 ft long.  They make them with diesel engines but mine is a 40 hp 480V 3 ph.  It is not to loud and cuts oak as fast as pine.  It can really spit out some cants.  I took some old junk 10 inch oak logs and made 6x8 ties at a rate of two per min.  You can send the slabs back through and edge them to width then resaw them to recover you lumber.
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Looks like you need to set it up over a sink hole so the sawdust will just go away!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

All the rain we been a getting it will just float off to the Mississippi River in no time.
  I will wire up the blower latter.  I was just chewing at the bit to make sawdust.
ARKANSAWYER

Robert Long

Nice machine........Can it make 4x4 fence posts?

Robert

ARKANSAWYER

Faster then you can pull and stack them. 
ARKANSAWYER

LeeB

I went by there today at lunch time and got to have a look at the new toy. It is a sweet machine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

moosehunter

Now that is just cool.
I have 1000 or so red pines that I would love to pass through that machine. Any chance you'll be traveling through centrial NewYork any time soon?? :D

Aw, never mind, I don't have three phase :(

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Percy

Very cool. Im wondering whats the maximum length that it can cut?? I got a million peckerpoles that would make 4x4s and this thing seems like the answer... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

Mine will do a 10 footer if you slow down the feed to get it loaded.  My chain dogs are about 12 ft apart but where it comes back up is about 10 ft from the blades.  If it had a sharp chain put in it could do as long as you wanted to do so long as the log did not get to large or bent.  They could make the input side longer as the build them when you order them.  But a sharp chain would solve the problem.
ARKANSAWYER

Cedarman

Arky, have you had any rotation of the log while sawing?  I saw a sharp chain circle scragg mill in Alabama about 9 years ago and about every 8 or 10th log would rotate a little making a slightly spiral cant.

Does your log ride on the chain or set in a trough and pushed through by the dog on the chain?

I bet you're lovin' flying through those small logs.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!