iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lazy ash people

Started by goose63, October 23, 2013, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

A guy 20 miles north of me has a boat load ash to give away those that look'ed at it think's he should do all the work getting it out for them. guess I know what iam gona be doing this winter. talked to him to day told me to come get it all .I just cant believe people are that darn lazy little work for all that free wood
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

"boat load" meaning the ash is still standing or ?

What will you be using to cut it, and haul it?

Working up some ash for firewood down the line a couple years. I like cutting, splitting, and burning the ash.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Holy cow beenthere ,
Here in central NY I can sell ash logs that size for a decent price, maybe $450 per mbf Doyle
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

goose63

Quote from: beenthere on October 23, 2013, 06:08:41 PM

Working up some ash for firewood down the line a couple years. I like cutting, splitting, and burning the ash.

still standing 2 jred saws 7 ft by 16 ft long 4 ft high will be good to burn next year :snowball:
goose

woodmills1

and to think I thought you meant ash, as in leftovers from burned wood. :D :o :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

r.man

Me too Woodmills and I wondered why it was in a boat. On a safety note ash should only be put in metal boats, not wooden or fiberglass.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Oh yeah, I loooove ash firewood. If I only had ash I don't think I would bother with a hydraulic splitter most of the time. Splitting ash is almost fun.

goose63

Quote from: r.man on October 23, 2013, 10:00:56 PM
Oh yeah, I loooove ash firewood. If I only had ash I don't think I would bother with a hydraulic splitter most of the time. Splitting ash is almost fun.
At 63 it's not fun any more by hand :D 8) :snowball:
goose

Al_Smith

Quote from: r.man on October 23, 2013, 10:00:56 PM
You obviously have not swung an axe at EAB killed ash .Unlike green felled this stuff is petrified where it stands .

flashhole

I get a lot of EAB victim Ash.  It can get pretty hard standing dead.  Felling and bucking the trees the first year they don't leaf out is the best way to deal with it.  I will cut all winter then split and stack when the snow melts in the spring.  I usually have the winters harvest stacked by the end of March and just leave it open to the weather until November.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

Ohiowood

We have a lot of dead ash also. How long do you guys think it can stand dead before it's not worth using for fire wood? We have been told 3 year and it's junk.

Ivan49

Quote from: Ohiowood on October 25, 2013, 04:17:27 PM
We have a lot of dead ash also. How long do you guys think it can stand dead before it's not worth using for fire wood? We have been told 3 year and it's junk.

I had some that had been standing for 4 or 5 years and it was still good and super hard

Al_Smith

The only ones I've seen fall are ones where  standing water rotted the roots .Oh a few in a fence line got snapped by the wind ,10 inchers maybe .They really hang tough a long while or so it seems now .

Peter Drouin

Beenthere , that's the first time I have seen a wood splitter on some ramps.
Have you ever lost it, [ role away]  :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

The ramps work great and much less bending while splitting (in fact none for me).  A higher lift but with the Bailey log carrier and the FEL on the tractor for the big ones, even that is not much hard labor.

No rollaway either... ;D

I added the third wheel at the hitch end that has a tongue for towing with yard tractor.

This old splitter has been running steady every year since purchased 1985 (everything original but a bolt or two). Even the 8hp B&S has been faithful so far, starting on first pull. Originally was owned by 5 friends, but now down to two.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

Gona look at at the tree's sunday might need to buy a mill sound's like a lot of good saw log's in that grove. 8) 8) :snowball: my splitter has boom and  a 12 volt winch on it getting to old to pick up the big  stuff :o ::)
goose

SPIKER

I was in the woods yesterday looking at my lot, seems the EAB has hit my place & got one BIG tree that I need to take down and some others that are heavily declining.
the big one looked poor last year & this year tops & limb tips dead with bushy stem growths while roots are still trying to feed up to the dead top. :(   Officially it is not in my area but I think the state has kind of given up looking for them and consigned to the loss...

Not sure what I want to do it the big stuff as my saws are too small for a 38+inch trees...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

flashhole

Get a bigger saw.  That's a lot of wood.  You might even sell some of it to offset the cost of the saw.
Remember - Always have your Democrats spayed or neutered - Anne Coulter

Al_Smith

Regarding that EAB infestation I traveled from western Ohio,Allen county to near Sharon Pa last Sunday .I saw signs of dead ash the entire way including that section  of I-71 through Ashland .
Fact it was in western Pa also .

SPIKER

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 26, 2013, 07:14:09 PM
Regarding that EAB infestation I traveled from western Ohio,Allen county to near Sharon Pa last Sunday .I saw signs of dead ash the entire way including that section  of I-71 through Ashland .
Fact it was in western Pa also .

Agreed it seems the main roads and along them is worst but the small areas back in back roads are somewhat protected due to the early firewood transporting.   Not much to do now other than slice & dice...  :-\

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Al_Smith

I was on country roads in Pa and it looked about the same .Ha I had to stop for a doe and this years fawn .Lawdy Pa deer are as stupid as Ohio deer about motor vehicles .

r.man

In my area the last widespread die off that I know of was Elm from Dutch elm disease. My father burnt nothing but dead elm for years but at the last we had trouble finding standing trees that were sound. Should have processed more in a shorter time.

Al_Smith

Elms still grow they just don't get very large before they die .Fact I took one down a few years back that was around 18" at the base .Gave that one away as I have no interest in splitting elm.

I was side hauling a few logs last fall and scrounged  around in the woods for either standing dead or downed small elms .They make dandy loading poles because they will bend like a rubber band before they break .I found a few ,saved them too .

CRThomas

Ash is the King of firewood I make a very good living selling only Ash

CRThomas

Quote from: CRThomas on October 29, 2013, 01:31:23 AM

Ash is the King of firewood I make a very good living selling only Ash
Ash is all my customers want I buy ash by the truck load it's to small for the mill to work with so they sell it to me for 250.00 cash. I get about 15 ranks or ricks or face cord what ever the name that's used in your area. I do my splitting on concrete so I can sweep up the mess and burn it in my kiln to dry my wood I can pull Ash down to 10 to 12 percent over night like that. I can put 2 cords in my shop spaced out pull it down to under 15 percent over the week in while we're taking a load of 400 bundles to St Louis. That's about 4 ton. Got to quit got dead finger poking the I-pad later

Thank You Sponsors!