iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green timber outside treatments

Started by fishfighter, January 21, 2016, 06:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Looking for the best thing to treat outside timber frame posts and beams that will be exposed to the weather. All are green at this point, so what is the best way and treatments.

Thanks.

beenthere

What is the species, and what is the exposure time? 
Beams should not be exposed, whereas posts need limited exposure before drying off.

For limited short term exposure, there are deck treatments that will (to a limited extent) keep water from  soaking into the wood. A mix of mineral spirits with melted wax helps, but needs a fungicide to slow down mildew. Days gone by, Penta was a good addition to that mixture. As well, boiled linseed oil was added too.
Not sure what is "best". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishfighter

All oak. Exposer will be all the time. I was thinking heated linseed or cotton oil might help some.

venice

If they where dry i'd say linseed oil would work ok. 2 to 3 applications and regular maintenance depending on exposure to the elements would do.

But i dont recommend treating green wood with anything that traps moisture. Any kind of oil or paint does...

Most likely your oak is developing cracks during the drying and seasonal changes anyways.

I would let them sit till they are dry enough to paint or oil. Sand off the grey that is going to develop over the years and oil them. It's oak afterall. Maybe some treatment against insects now if this could be a problem in your area.

venice

fishfighter

Thanks. I glad I didn't oil them. Sure about the gray. It's happening inside my cabin build. Just knowing it's going to take a few years for those beams to dry, I'm going to leave them be.

dhp3228

Is there a way to treat the bottoms of your post to keep them from attracting termites? I'm in East Texas using Pine. Just curious if there is a solution or some product that a person could concoct to soak the ends in?  Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if this take the original post in a different direction. 

beenthere

I believe there are ground treatments, but we don't have temites up here so not familiar with present day treatments.
Suggest contacting your extension service or local yellow pages.. Or the local lumber yard should have that info on the tip of their tongue. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

boldrum

Antifreeze 1gal, borax 4 cups, h20 2 gal. Note grind borax or it will tend to clog sprayer. Had a major insect and mold problem here in coastal SC. I spray everything going on stick in my woodshed including the sticks. I have not had any problems since starting this process. This solution is very toxic to animals but none of the roving cats or dogs seem to find it palatable. Nevertheless use caution.
Homemade bandmill.
Tractor fel David Brown 885, Kubota BX 2230, Stihl chainsaws. Truck, trailers, bunch of shop stuff.

fishfighter

Quote from: dhp3228 on February 13, 2016, 11:12:21 PM
Is there a way to treat the bottoms of your post to keep them from attracting termites? I'm in East Texas using Pine. Just curious if there is a solution or some product that a person could concoct to soak the ends in?  Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if this take the original post in a different direction.

Would paint them with roofing tar all the way above ground contact. Also and some gravel at the bottom of each hole. Couple inches will do. That is so water will drain off the bottom.

Thank You Sponsors!