iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thermally modified wood

Started by flatrock58, June 30, 2020, 09:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Does anyone know of a company in the Georgia area that will thermally modify your wood?  I know there are plenty that will sell you thermally modified wood but have not found one that takes your wood and treats it. 
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

thecfarm

I had to google that one. Got it. :) Interesting. Costly? But safer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

flatrock58

Thermally modified lumber is wood that has been through a natural, non-toxic process that "cooks" the wood, changing the make-up of the wood. Wood is heated in 400+ degree heat in an oxygen-free environment. Thermal modification uses heat to remove organic compounds from the wood cells, so it will not absorb water, expand, contract, or provide nourishment for insects or fungi.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Got a sample of thermally modified poplar.  It is dark all the way through the wood.  I could see this as siding.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Southside

Funny - I think I have actually made some of that without realizing it.  I have a bunch of stickers that were Poplar and have been through the kiln umpteen times, they are dark as walnut.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Oxygen free as in they draw a vacuum or displace oxygen with some sort of gas or what?
Praise The Lord

flatrock58

I believe they use steam to keep combustion down.

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Found a place near Macon Georgia that will treat your wood for .80 cents/bf.  Minimum of 4000 bf.  That is about half the price of yellow wood treated lumber.  Might need to get some wood cut and dried and try it out.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!