iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 660 cold weather kick back when starting

Started by Downstream, December 15, 2018, 11:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Once again this winter as the temps drop into 30's or colder my MS 660 seems to want to kick back more frequently when I go to pull start it on colder mornings. It's almost like the decomp valve is malfunctioning, but I put in a new one last year when this happened in colder weather.  Does not seem to happen very often when temps are 50 or higher.  One of these days it is going to pull my shoulder out of joint.  I start getting gun shy after it does it a couple of times.  Anyone else experience this and if so any thoughts?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

DaveP

Mine has started doing the same thing for the last couple of months.  Doesn't do it all the time.  When the saw is warm it starts without kicking back.  Kind of hard on the fingers when the starter handle is torn out of your hand.

welderskelter

Maybe you girls should get a smaller saw.  :D Oh sorry I have the same problem. ;D The 066 acts like it only wants to turn over about twice in a pull but soon starts. Then its all worth it.

HolmenTree

I ran my old non decomp 066 for years with a short starter rope.
Now you want to feel kickback  :D

It all boils down to a good quality rubber starter handle.
I put a 1970's Jonsereds handle on the 066, best T handle ever made.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Stihl MS 460 rescue saw D-handle .I have several .

ehp

you want to see kick back, I got a stihl super contra and that thing will tear your arm off and you know its going to do it  but it sure can cut for a old saw .

HolmenTree

Yep those big slugs make compression.  My 090 was putting out so much compression it could only be started on the ground with left thumb on the decompressor button.

DelawhereJoe

My 12.5 hp log splitter will kickback from time to time, most of the time it kicks back is when the rope is just about all the way pulled out. You end up full on punching yourself in the side, its not very pleasant.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Al_Smith

I had an 084 Stihl come back on me hard and I could predict the weather for a couple of years over that incident .It now wears a D-handle .The snow blower being stored at my shop,12HP two stage came with a D-handle .Snow mobiles come with D-Handles for a reason .Follow  the logic ,just saying .

Busysawyer

My stihl 441 kicks back occasionally on cold morning starts.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

charles mann

I would imagine it has to do with the cold air being more dense than warm air and does not compress as easily as warm, since there are more air molecules per volume with the cold, compared to when warn. It should also be putting out slighty more power too. My new (2yrs old) 661 and (3yr old) jonsered 2166 and my 1996 husq 372 all yank the cord out of my hand the first couple pulls. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Pulphook

The MS 660 has the Stihl "winter mode" flap for carb air. Is it slid on ?
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

mike_belben

Fattening up the low speed screw doesnt help? 
Praise The Lord

HolmenTree

Decompression valve may be carboned up and need cleaning.
For proper below freezing  winter use you need the full winter kit.

Jack Lilley

I had a new Husquvarna one time that would kick back pretty hard and then the last time it happened the engine started running backwards. The cause was the electronic ignition was spaced too far from the flywheel, reset the gap and it was fine. You might check that.

Thank You Sponsors!