iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help for bugs!!!

Started by stumpy, September 10, 2005, 08:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I have a log cabin in Northern Wisconsin. It's about 35 years old. There are many many tiny holes appearing on the outside with fine sawdust piles at each one. After reading much I think I concluded these are powder post beetles. My questions are:
1) If they are PPB, and they were in the would when it was originaly cut and just now comming out, what's the down side of just leaving it go and waiting till they're all out?
2) If I need to get them out, what's the best method?
3) If these don't sound like PPB to you all, Any Idea what I have and how to treat?

P.S. 2 years ago we added a 2 room log addition and treated the logs with a Permachink product and no sign of bugs yet.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

woodbowl

I've got the same problem and I live in the deep south. I didn't realize that powder post beetles ranged so far north. Down here they can eat a big timber from the inside and when you touch it, it will crumble in your hand.  HELP
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

Here is an article that seems to be well written for help with the powder post beetles, of which it lists three that are included under this name. Has information about the species they like to chew on as well.
Also some info on what to watch for, how to detect the active ones, and how to treat them.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2090.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inveresk

Just a word of warning - that Ohio State University article is 1991 and CCA preservative, which it recommends, has since been banned from use entirely in residential buildings. It can still be used in industrial or commercial buildings but only in locations where it can't come into human contact.

Thank You Sponsors!