iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugs in my ERC What are they?

Started by ozarkgem, September 29, 2016, 07:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I sawed these up for a guy who is picking them up tomorrow. Not sure what kind of bugs they are but if PPB I don't want him to take them in his house. This will be inside trim on some doors. The penny is for size. The size is 2 1/4 x 6 x8
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ChugiakTinkerer

if you're intending for pics to show, there may be a glitch in the system.  I'm not seeing any.
Woodland Mills HM130

caveman

Your picture did not show up for me.  In eastern red cedar or southern red cedar, I have had ambrosia beetles, termites, and ants.  The powder post beetles that are problematic for ring porous hardwoods is probably not going to be an issue with ERC or other softwoods.  If you do have ambrosia beetles in your ERC, they should leave when the wood moisture content drops to about 20%.  If they are ambrosia beetles, you will probably notice small, open black holes.

I sawed some standing dead cedar a few weeks ago which had some termites in some of the boards.  The solubor (Timbor equivalent) which we bought to treat hardwoods to prevent powder post beetle infestations did a number on the termites.  We mixed it in a bucket and mopped it on all surfaces with a car wash brush.
Caveman

thecfarm

I see he's offline now. I'll help out.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ozarkgem

forgot to ad the pics. Thank you Cfarm.You must be a computer guru
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

thecfarm

Yea,right.  :)  Jeff has made it very simple to find my way around the FF.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its possible there are several kinds of bugs in this Cedar.
The pics look like this is some older Cedar that is already starting to break down and the bug resistant chemical in the red wood is gone.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ozarkgem

yes it is older cedar. I guess my concern, is it something that is going to hatch out and get in the rest of his house.

Cedarman

Depending on the time of year a cedar dies or is cut down there are a couple of cedar beetles that lay eggs under the bark.  When they hatch, you will see the lines radiating away from the laying spot.  The larva eat the sapwood and very rarely eat into the heartwood.  The larva usually become adults the following spring and fly away looking for more fresh dead cedar.  It is a one year thing.  If the logs have the larva, you may see a small wasp flying around looking for a larva to lay her eggs into.  If you do not see any larva when you sawed the boards then you are ok. 
One type of beetle seems to just live under the bark.  This is why you can pull the bark off an old log and see all the bug tracks and holes.  This gives the small poles character and makes for some nice furniture.
Have never seen PPB in cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Cedarman on September 30, 2016, 07:05:02 AM
Depending on the time of year a cedar dies or is cut down there are a couple of cedar beetles that lay eggs under the bark.  When they hatch, you will see the lines radiating away from the laying spot.  The larva eat the sapwood and very rarely eat into the heartwood.  The larva usually become adults the following spring and fly away looking for more fresh dead cedar.  It is a one year thing.  If the logs have the larva, you may see a small wasp flying around looking for a larva to lay her eggs into.  If you do not see any larva when you sawed the boards then you are ok. 
One type of beetle seems to just live under the bark.  This is why you can pull the bark off an old log and see all the bug tracks and holes.  This gives the small poles character and makes for some nice furniture.
Have never seen PPB in cedar.
Nothing flying around. I have lots of the bug tracks under the bark. Does make good character for furniture.

Thank You Sponsors!