iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

18'x24' wood shed.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 22, 2015, 09:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've been helping a friend build an 18'x24' wood shed for his OWB. We put the trusses up and got everything ready for roofing and siding last winter, but got bogged down by weather, and a few other things. The metal roof was put on last fall, and we are now starting to finish the siding and trim. I designed the clapboard siding, and got most of the trim on last week. I started to run a course of siding and ran out of time. My friend and his wife have been picking away at putting the boards up, and got one side and part of the gable done. It is simple 1"x8" pine, all heartwood. It worked out that there was exactly 1" overlap when I divided up the courses. There is a single nail at the bottom of each board, just above the lap at each stud location. This way the board is secured by the nail at the bottom, and the next clapboard at the top, with room to expand and contract underneath. The corner boards are 2x and the frieze boards are 2 1/2" with a starter section on the top and a 45° on the front to shed water. Stacked to the trusses, it will hold 30 cords.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

18x24 woodshed.

Id surely let the wood sit outside and find something better to put in there!  Wow thats awesome. Any inside pics?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

I don't think I have any other pics of this shed, but I can get you some next time I'm over there. It's got four 6"x6" locust posts on either side, with 2"x12" plates inside and out that the trusses sit on. He bought the trusses, I think they were like $50 each. :D There is a white pine 2"x6" stud every two feet between posts.

He has this to put his lawnmower and JD compact tractor in, all timber framed:

It's more complete than that, but we still have a couple of small details. Started the raising 11/11. Hoping to get it done in under four years, we've got a 27'x36' English three bay barn to start soon. All TF as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

You should do a class, dave  ;)
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

beenthere

Going to put green firewood in there? Doesn't look like room for air to move through to dry the wood, but at least it won't get additional rain and snow on it. Nice shed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ckhenshaw4

Very nice firewood shed.  Would like to have one myself.  ;)
Getting TOO old to "man handle" wood anymore. Looking at building a firewood processor.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: beenthere on March 22, 2015, 11:59:43 PM
Going to put green firewood in there? Doesn't look like room for air to move through to dry the wood, but at least it won't get additional rain and snow on it. Nice shed.

There is a 9' wide door on the end you can see, and the other end is completely open. Do you always look for the worst case scenario in every post? :D

beenthere

Dave
Sorry you perceive it that way. And if you want to know the truth, that isn't the worst case scenario that I see with this as a woodshed. But those will show up in due time.  ;D

I see the Forestry Forum as a place for conversation about ideas and questions from many members, that will illicit reading by other guests and members now and in the future.
If someone posts about their plan (for example) to take down a tree and it doesn't look like all things are considered, do I let it ride... no, I comment on what I see may be important to others who may not know what to expect. No one has to accept my comment. But can think on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

So what is the worst case scenario for this as a wood shed?

Bruno of NH

Dave,
i like the wood shed great craftsman work  :)
I like the pine siding under used like that now adays .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Dave .
I think your perceptions are right on if you get my drift.Nice looking buildings.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ivan49

You do good work. I have a suggestion that may help with the air flow. Under your eves just use window screen to keep the birds out and the doors open in the summer. I built mine using lumber off my sawmill and bumped the boards tight so when they dried I have a gap of appox 1/2 between them. One end is open on the furnace end like yours and I have a 9 foot wide slider on one side and an 8 foot wide door on the other end. I used clear fiberglass for my roof and even with the doors open it get hot inside. If I fill it with green wood in the spring by fall the wood is almost to dry. I don't think on yours you will have much of a problem but time will tell. I like the style of the tractor shed.

Dave Shepard

I think we've been using the term frieze incorrectly. I'll have to find out what the starting course of clapboard siding is called.

landscraper

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 24, 2015, 01:05:09 PM
I think we've been using the term frieze incorrectly. I'll have to find out what the starting course of clapboard siding is called.

Water board or water table board? 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Dave Shepard

That sounds betterish. :D Thanks.

47sawdust

Sometimes called a skirt board or water table,typically has a wooden drip cap to kick the water away.
Frieze board is the wide band just below the soffit at the eaves and rake.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Corley5

Isn't water boarding what we do to terrorists  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Holmes

The lower most course of clapboard siding has been technically called the "starter course" not "starting course"  ;D on all the house jobs I've worked on. :D  unless you are talking about the skinny little 1/3rd of a clapboard, "starter course"  ;)
Think like a farmer.

21incher

It is hard for me to believe that he is going to use that building for a woodshed. It is just to nice. Great job thanks for sharing.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dave Shepard

That's just the woodshed. The boiler room is going to be stone. :D

Warped

I often see frieze board as the boards on edge between rafters......on the top plates. Appears it's also the board to attach soffit next to the wall also, in from the sub fascia?
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Dave Shepard

We finished the siding on the woodshed today. We will install some sliding doors at some point on this end, but I don't know when. The back wall that you can't see took three of us two hours to put up. Lumber was fresh off the saw. I really like the way it came out. Looks good while still only using rough lumber.

lopet

Turned out real nice. Fresh of the saw. smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

timberlinetree

Nice job!! It will be real handy to have and a great example of how good wood is. Thanks for posting.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!