iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw wood chips for fireplace kindling?

Started by motif, September 13, 2010, 06:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motif

after I cut my fire wood with my chainsaw wood chips smell with oil...obviously.
I wonder if I use them in my fireplace as kindling will cause any problems.
Looks like a good material for this purpose...

isawlogs

I don't see where a problem could arrise from burning the chips .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

I use planer shavings all the time in my shop stove. I can't see where chips would be any different.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

motif

Quote from: isawlogs on September 13, 2010, 06:31:19 PM

chips with oil in it, I don't know e.g. health hazard, fireplace clogging etc.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

motif

fuzzybear

There are people here that come for wood chips all the time. They pack paper liquor bags from the liquor store with them. Then they toss it in like a regular log and light it up. It works very well, light and forget.  The liquor store here will give away a small stack ( 10 bags or so) every time you go in.  The bags used for wine bottle/rum bottles are the best. When you fill them they are the same shape and size as a "real" log.
 As far as oil goes, you always have a small amount on each log as you cut anyway, as long as it's not soaked with oil you will have no problem.
 Stay worm winter is coming.....  -10 here this morning.  
 I'll turn on the fans and start to send it down south soon. ;D :D :D
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

VT_Forestry

I always have a 5-gallon bucket full of saw shavings for lighting the campfire/fireplace.  Cut length-ways down the log and get the nice long curly ones, they work best and it doesn't take too many cuts to get a good pile that will last you awhile :)
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

LeeB

I've also used them for smoking chips in the meat smoker. Not enough oil on them to fret over.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

Quote from: motif on September 14, 2010, 02:43:38 AM
Quote from: isawlogs on September 13, 2010, 06:31:19 PM

chips with oil in it, I don't know e.g. health hazard, fireplace clogging etc.

If you can clog a fireplace with a handfull of chips you are using to sart a fire .. I would strongly sujest you replace said fireplace sir .
As for the oil on um .. how much fuel oil goes trough a furnace over a winter , how much sout is in the cheminy. Aint any more hazerdus to use chips out of a saw then to heat with oil. Actualy a lot less.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LorenB

Motif,

My experience is with burning chips off my planer and occasionally sawdust.  I soak the chips in used engine oil before I use them as kindling.  The oil provides extra heat to help start the fire, and I get rid of my used oil at the same time. 

I have found that generally the chips don't work too well unless they are dry.  That's even more true for sawdust.  They also do not absorb the oil as well if the chips are wet with water.  I would guess that most of the chips from a chainsaw would be wet. 

If you are just going to use a small amount, you can lay the chips in a thin layer in a tub or something similar.  Leave the tub in the sun and stir the chips several times a day.  Bring them in at night.  In a few days you'll have nice dry chips that should start easily. 

Good luck,
– Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

bert0168

I use either planer or saw chips to start my stove every time.  But I add a little kero or #2 to the can and let them sit awhile.

I'll fill one of those giant coffee cans and pack the chips in then add about one cup of diesel, #2 or kero and put the lid on.

Usually only takes about 2 cups or so to get the logs going and I don't use any small kindling, only the split logs and the saw/planer chips.

John Mc

I had a relative who used to save old candle stubs and melt them into small (3 oz ?) paper cups full of chainsaw chips. (there may have been a wick in there too?) She'd sell them as camp fire starters. Worked rather well.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ron Scott

~Ron

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: John Mc on September 16, 2010, 09:52:06 PM
I had a relative who used to save old candle stubs and melt them into small (3 oz ?) paper cups full of chainsaw chips. (there may have been a wick in there too?) She'd sell them as camp fire starters. Worked rather well.
Probably depends what kind of stove you have but mine (Jotul F400) has an ash tray below the burning chamber floor.  I am finding buildup of wax deposits in the ash tray pan or worse around it.  Seems the wax will melt and run down below before burning.   THis is from putting candle leftovers directly in, not from making up a wax-permeated kindling mixture.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

John Mc

She was making them for camp fire starters, not for use in wood stoves, so any possible drippage was not an issue.  A bit off topic from what the OP was asking...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

bkellyvtme

I use chainsaw shavings to make the best fire starter in the world hands down. I melt some wax mix in the shavings and pour into those paper egg cartons. Rip one off and light the edge of the egg carton and off it goes. Lasts a while too.

beenthere

How do you guys go about collecting chainsaw shavings? I'm curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

If you are bucking up firewood in one spot, it doesn't take long for the chips to pile up...

motif

Quote from: beenthere on September 20, 2010, 06:42:53 PM
How do you guys go about collecting chainsaw shavings? I'm curious.

my chainsaw although small is pretty efficient with chips and shavings  8)
can't imagine what a mess  bigger saws can do... ;D
So I put them with shovel on wheelbarrow to dry and then to big plastic bags.

36 coupe

I pick up pine cones from white pines.Full of pitch and burn hot.Ive used the dead branches for 60 years.A 5 gallon pail next to my table saw collects small stuff for the barbeque, never buy charcoal.

Thank You Sponsors!