Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: hunter

Started by Ron Wenrich, October 08, 2006, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll expires 10-23-06

Its about that time again.  I would classify a fanatical hunter as one that their lives revolve around hunting.  Avid hunters would make sure they make time for hunting.  Casual hunters would go hunting when the urge struck them.

Of course, your definitions may vary, and we're all up for hearing them.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

PawNature

At one time a fanatic..
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Dan_Shade

what are you when you go to the woods to avoid the world for a while, and then fall asleep on a stump?  :)

I guess i'm casual.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ARKANSAWYER

Bow and arrow, muzzle loader and modern guns both long and short.  Man I will even hunt rabbits with a rock if that is all I got.  As a kid I use to hunt grass hoppers with a BB gun just to have something to shoot. (fed the kill to the chickens)   Trap, call, stalk or just sleep in the tree lounge till something wakes me up.   I have a hard time sitting still to watch TV but can sit like a rock from dawn to dark if I am a thinking a buck is a comming.
  Just last week I shot over eight deer and it was just the opening of bow season.  Looks like a good year a comming.

ARKANSAWYER

Michigan Mike

I used to be  a fanatic  birds squirels rabbits deer with both bow and gun. Now i don't  do much small game hunting not  very many pheasants around and almost no grouse locally and lost intrest in squirrels and rabbits but Nov 15  gun deer opener in Michigan you are garrunteed to find me back against a tree in the woods all day. After opening day I will probably spend at least  3 hours a day in the woods.

pasbuild

Hunt deer, rabbit, grouse, coyote, and bear when I get a tag, success rate is pretty poor I find myself looking at the trees more then looking for the game I'm after.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Woodcarver

Deer during the rifle season every year.  Small game, too, but less often than I would like.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Fla._Deadheader

::) ::)  No box to check for "used to did"  ::) ::)  I threw away a LOT of photos of game I took over the years. Spent as much time in the woods as I did working.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

Definately in the 'casual' camp.  Opening day of deer gun season I casually mosey out to the woods just before dawn and usually drag back the winter freezer venison before noon.  If the mood strikes me I may venture forth for bow season.  It all depends on my progress with the chore list.
Gave up hunting smaller game because the return just wasn't there.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Modat22

I let the freezer decide whether I need to go hunting or not. Wabbit, deer, squirrel and quail. A ground hog every now and then for barbecue.
remember man that thy are dust.

woodbowl

I said casual, but one day I would like to have time to be avid in hunting.

Quote from: Modat22 on October 09, 2006, 12:34:49 PM
I let the freezer decide whether I need to go hunting or not. Wabbit, deer, squirrel and quail. A ground hog every now and then for barbecue.

I like that Modat, using what was taken in the hunt.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Modat22

Dad always taught me that you got trophies from bowling, not hunting.
remember man that thy are dust.

crtreedude

Ron, you shuld know better than asking definitions...

Fanatical Hunter - someone who hunts terrorist.
Avid Hunter - I have heard of Avids before - I think they are like Snipe...
Casual Hunter - Hunts for people dressed in Polyester

I checked I don't hunt - but I used to. Down here you have to pass a pysch test to have a gun, I am afraid of what I might reveal...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

gary

I guess i would be a fanatical hunter. I have quit more than one job because it interfered with my hunting. Starying oct 14th  I will hunt ducks in the morning before work and in the evening when I get home unless I decide not to go to work then I will hunt all day.

sawguy21

When I was about 12, I went hunting with my BB gun and trusty dog. Trusty dog mauled a ring neck pheasant and stood there proud as heck while the bird lay staring at us. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, carried the bird home and left it with food,water and shelter. Now I go out with a camera, only gun I own is grandpa's J.C. Whitney .410 bolt action single shot grouse gun that has not been used in years. It would probably blow up in my face.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

limbrat

Avid; 22 small game recurve and 50cal. round ball for deer. No more rifle for me when i got close enough to a deer that i was worried about him hearing me breath it changed my prespective. I like to hunt gar and buffalo fish with my bow year round them big head and silver carp are fun too but they aint worth eaten. Nutria make the best dumplens.
ben

Coon

Do the two-legged animals count too??????

I'll hunt just about any species of game using bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, rifle, snares, or whatever else there is to use.  I would rather eat wild meat any day before I would eat any cut of a cow, or pig.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tcsmpsi

When they pulled me off the street as a small child and sent me to live with the Old Woman of the Woods, I was used to hunting for something to eat.  Second night laying in the middle of the floor, enjoying the breeze coming through the door, The Old Woman came in carrying a carbide headlight and 16 ga shotgun.  She said the if I was going to stay there, I would have to be bringing in food.  Gave me a few hints and tips and off I went.

I've hunted a lot, trapping and shooting (various methods).  Since I've been in this business, I seldom hunt.  Have to keep everyone else hunting.   :D   Not much need to, for they're always bringing me game and I've always got a stash in the freezer.

Every now and then, someone will invite me to go on a hunt and I'll go.  But, even that has become less and less feasible.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

DWM II

It used to be I couldnt wait for deer season but now I cant hardly wait for February to get here and the deer hunters to get out of the woods. If you look to the picture on the left thats ma squerrill dog, thats what gets my hunting blood boiling these days, I love to here that cur dog tree! 8)
Stewardship Counts!

macpower

Fanatical, if only I had the time!
Casual out of necessity. Seems the kids and wife need to eat more than I could ever provide by hunting. But my boys do seem to find ways to be in the woods, or in a duck blind while I'm at work.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

ely

fanatical- before i started sawmilling, and all the associated processes that go along with it.
now i am avid when i can make myself set still long enough.
i have this adiction now while sitting in the woods i pick out a tree and my mind races with thoughts of" i wonder how that would look quarter sawn."

pigman

I used to do a lot of hunting when I was a lot younger. I would hunt rabbits, squirrels and other small game. There were no deer in this area at that time. I got this trophy dear a long time ago and have not done any hunting since. ;)
Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

highpockets

I used to hunt most everything but over the years I have gotten involved in my shop and pretty much lost interest.  Just behind my shop is a power line that crosses my property. I had my rifle range there for years. About six months ago I took Bertha and pulled a small 10x16 storage building into the edge of the line.  Just yesterday I installed a flip up door with a glass window.  This is the new reloading, shooting range and deer stand.  Need to run about 50' of power cable for lights.  Tough hunting ain't it?   8) 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

thurlow

Quote from: pigman on October 10, 2006, 10:21:00 PM
I got this trophy dear a long time ago
Bob
How do you collect them trophy dear?  Around here it's by lottery and the limit is one per lifetime. 8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

beenthere

I'm thinkin pigman is referring to his dear wife, da witch, as his trophy Dear. And maybe it was through the lottery.  ;D  How else could it be explained der  eh   :)  (and make no mistake, she is a beautiful lady der too  :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others