Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Consumption tax

Started by Ron Wenrich, April 08, 2007, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Fair tax has been kicked around for the past several years.  Being that tax day is next Monday, I thought it might be good to kick around.

Poll ends 4/23/07
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I don't care for it because someone "else" decides the value of consumption.   I like the idea of a flat tax, if it could be made to work.

E.B.

I have to agree with Tom 1000%

EB
A day without a Smile is a wasted day

LeeB

Don't recon i know what a consumtion tax is. Would that be like a sales tax? If so, I would support a national flat sales tax on all purchases, be it finished goods or raw materials. That way every one pays. If you can't afford much, you don,t pay much. If your making it hand over fist and spending it to make it you pay your share also. If your making it and and saving more than you spend you get to keep it. Sounds fair to me. No special breaks for anyone or any industry. If everyone coughs up the per person amount would'nt need be that great. Or maybe I'm full of it. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Here's what the fair tax is, from what I understand of it.

There would be no taxes on your earnings.  That would include Social Security, Medicare or any on corporations.  There would also be no inheritance tax. 

There would be a 23% tax on new goods.  They figure that there are about 23% of imbedded taxes in the goods you buy now.  So, instead of having it withheld as an employment tax, it will be paid at the store.

To boot, the plan also calls for a prebate each month to all head of households.  The prebate would cover the estimated tax you would pay on goods up to the poverty level.  It would do away with the earned income tax credit that those under a certain level gets a tax time.

Taxes would be collected at the retail level only when the good or service is sold.  No tax on used goods. 

They say the math adds up.  Its designed to be a neutral tax, meaning the tax levied would equal the current taxes collected, but with a lot less bureaucracy.

LeeB

Wood that include purchases made by manufactures and corporations so every body pays a slice of the pie? I feel for those below the poverty line, but i feel that there should be no exclusions for anyone. I guess that would be my idea of a flat tax.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Larry

I sure would like to see a proposal put on the table.  I would think it could be tailored for little or no impact on those with small incomes...zero tax on food and mega tax on the 600 horsepower cigarette boats. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

We have a federally imposed General Sales Tax (6%) on all goods that was introduced to replace the manufacturers tax. Residents of all provinces except Alberta pay a Provincial Sales Tax, rate varies among provinces, on top of that. If I trade my truck in, I submit GST on the trade in value as if I sold it outright, it is added at the time of purchase,  plus pay PST and GST on the vehicle I purchase. Grrrr. If I sell the truck privately, no problem as I am not a motor dealer. This consumption tax is over and above income tax.
Some years ago, I ran into an interesting problem. I had done some work as a contractor for a large company. I did not have a GST registration number as my gross was less than $3000.00 per year. The company's computerized A/P system could not issue a cheque without this number. They finally cut a manual cheque from petty cash. Too DanG much bureaucracy. >:(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

I think I would be for something like that.  It sure would make me control my spending.  It would also make all those people who don't pay income taxes antie up their share -  including illegals, tourists, etc...

I wonder how this would be enforced on cash business' like custom sawing? ???
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LeeB

If you did away with an income tax and made it a sales tax or a tax on purchases it wouldn't matter what you earn cash wise. You would pay your share every time you buy. Buy less, save more, Pay less taxes. Seems like it could work somehow. I suppose you would have to make food and meds non tax items. Probably housing too.

TexasTimbers

I was initially for the Flat Tax when Dick Armey was pushing it back in the late nineties. Then I got to really digging deep into the national sales tax when I heard about it. I am all for the National Sales Tax now and have been since about 02.
I think a side by side comparison of the 3 clearly shows the advantages of the NST. There is a good one at fairtax.org.
The NST is the one the politicians least like, so you can bet it's the best for us! ;)
fairtax.org has an entire page dedicated to the intentional, and un-intentional misinformation put forth by politicians and the media to keep the public from getting an accurate and clear picture of why this tax really is, the "fair" tax.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Brad_S.

Of all the taxes, it's the local school tax on property that frosts my shorts. Maybe it's sour grapes, but having to pay an ever growing, unchecked school tax when I am childless seems grossly unfair. >:( If by some chance the budget gets voted down, the first thing they say they are going to do is cut the most poplular activities unless the "revised" budget is passed rather than make any meaningful reforms. Sure enough, the budget always passes on the next vote.  smiley_furious
A pay for only what you use tax seems much more fair, a national sales tax would fit that bill.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ernie_Edwards

Sure do like the idea of a national sales tax. Course we could really muddy the water and have a different tax rate on the purchase of consumables either produced out of country or by foreign owned entities.

TexasTimbers

Brad I feel your pain......and then some. Times 5! ;D I have to pay the same tax as the guy living next door to me that has no children, but I get pay for rearing those 5 too. yes it is my choice but consider that they become doctors, policemen, scientists, and sawyers, and more taxpayers  that you benefit from as much as I do, but you got all that for just paying the same amount of tax I did.  You lucky skunk you are getting a great deal! It is YOU who is not doing his part by not helping preserve our culture! ;)

I would not trade with you for the world, but really that is the one tax you do not want to eliminate even though they are WAY to high because of embezzlemnt and fraud and waste, unless you want to be totally dependent on holistic medicine and police your own streets.

I can't begin to describe how much money it takes per month to pay for 5 of them. it is why i bought a used LT40 instead of a new one. Hey I am just thankful to be able to have gotten one at all.

One of my kids might cure you of cancer one day Brad. Then again, one of my kids might mug you on the street one day too. :D

Tom

And none of it is the panacea that we desire.  Just because the Feds create a tax that the population can live with, doesn't mean that the States must follow.  Nor does it mean that county and city taxing authorities will want to give up their grip on free money either. Taxing authorites aren't necessarily government.  There are port authorities, school districts, electric companies and the like who can get taxes levied on a whim.  The USPS isn't government, just ask them.  Yet the cost of stamps continues to rise and they are always knocking on the door of congress.  The communications companies seem to be a good avenue for the collection of taxes that you have trouble identifying too.  

I don't think it's as simple as we would like to believe.  Prepare for a lot of fights, not just a National election.

Mooseherder

Voted Don't know because I think there is alot more to the taxation issue being debated. Would it create a Black Market economy? Would it solve the Cash Businesses into paying their fair share or leave the rest who can't hide it to pay more, as it is now?
No way, no how, should this country have this debt. It irks me when a politician says "I think the American People, blah, blah, blah."  All the while, the person making that statement is part of the problem and isn't representing me, they are from another State. They should only represent that State. Therein lies some real issues. These people never met a tax they didn't like.<(Reagan) Pork and entitlements my friends is the real problem. All Bills signed into law should not have anything attached to it. Each Bill should be voted on it's own merits. Most of the career politicians are still there even after getting us into this debt. Too many layers of goberment. :D

sawguy21

The level of taxation here has created a huge underground economy (I have been part of it but don't tell anybody :D) and a lot of our taxes are spent trying to stop it.  ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sprucegum

Yes, thanks to the Gov't Sales Tax our underground economy is booming  :-X

I have read that in the Bahamas, or was it Bermuda?, they have no income tax at all. They do have a very high sales tax on new items. No local ever buys anything new there, they wait for the tourists to bring something over and barter with them.

Back in the 70's one of our financial gurus was trying to promote a WEALTH TAX You figure up your net worth and pay 5% of that each year. No income tax, no sales tax, no exceptions.

What can go wrong?  ;D  ;D

TexasTimbers

Sprucegum when did you move to Canddidda? Never had noticed that red maple leaf in your sideline before.

Sprucegum

I was born here so long ago I can hardly remember it.
I have travelled out of the province but never lived or worked anywhere else and I reckon I'll keep it that way.  8)

Spring is only another couple months away  :-\

Brad_S.

Quote from: kevjay on April 08, 2007, 11:26:35 PM
It is YOU who is not doing his part by not helping preserve our culture! ;)
I know you added a wink wink, nod nod, but I get this all the time. I've composed and deleted two different responses, but they both would have sent me to the woodshed. ::) Suffice it to say that usually when it is said, it is not said in jest nor do the purveyors really mean "culture".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Handy Andy

Yeah, I'm for the fair tax.  Really tired of the KGB (irs) and having to spend piles of money on tax preperation.  And you never know if it is really correct.  My accountant is using  a tax program now, so probably as right as he can get.  But people make mistakes.  Had a bank screw up a closing statement once, cost me about 3000$ after the audit.  Only been audited once, but it is an experience.
  About taxing corporations, that is just a hidden tax on you, they pass their costs on in the price of the product.  Eliminate the tax, the price goes down. They are in competition for your dollars. 
  Anybody who gets the Neal Boortz show on radio can hear about the fair tax.  He has also done a Fair Tax book.  The whole system was designed by a group trying to find the least offensive way to pay for the federal government.  While I don't think we should pay for federal expenses, it is less offensive than the current system.  And we have had a flat tax, remember the Reagan tax reform?  That's what it was.  The congress can't leave it alone.  They have to make special deals in return for contributions so they can stay on the gravy train.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Ron Wenrich

The theory is that since there are no more embedded income taxes in products, the price should drop.  So, all retail products and services would be taxed.  The tax would be incorporated in the cost of the item.  Anyone, including government and business, buying retail would pay the tax.

So, if you're selling retail services, like custom sawing, you would be collecting the tax.  If you provide a service before it gets to retail, something like consulting, then I suppose you wouldn't collect the tax. 

A few numbers that fair tax has thrown out is that it costs the American economy about $500 billion to prepare and avoid taxes.  Those costs are filtered down to the consumer.  A lot of foreign countries keep US money in their banks to avoid taxes.  The current figure is $11 trillion.  That money isn't used for US investments.  Supposedly a lot of that would be coming home.  Last year, the feds missed out on $350 billion due to the underground economy.

The black market supposedly wouldn't be much of a problem.  You would have to have a willing buyer and a willing seller work together to commit the fraud.  And, it would have to involve a retail item.  I don't buy this aspect.  The current black market and underground economy accounts for 10-20% of GDP.  Remember all those illegals performing services are in this group. 

crtreedude

I pulled the lever for the consumption tax because it would be simpler and fairer. You buy more, you pay more tax. I would also think having some items with more tax than others - for example, food, clothing, shelter - virtually no tax as long it was at the basic level (i.e. a house up to the average or a bit beyond, no tax, more than that, it starts to have tax because it is no longer a necessity)

But, we have this kind of tax down here, until you get pretty high in income, there really isn't an income tax - and this develops the biggest blackmarket and under the table dealings you ever saw. We are constaintly having to tell works and ENFORCE that we will buy nothing without a receipt.

Our tax write-off and the fair tax are about equal but most people pay no tax so they can not understand why we pay our taxes since it isn't considered fair for us to pay when almost no one else does.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - you have to think about what changes will occur because of a consumption tax. Already there is a tremendous amount of wages paid in the USA with documentation - this would spread to all areas if Costa Rica is any kind of example.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Burlkraft

Here in Wisco we are taxed on our taxes....and it's getting worse...consumption tax is the only fair way to tax. The udder thing that sticks in my craw is school tax. A LARGE part of my taxes are school taxes, yet apartment dwellers who have kids pay no school tax. I'm for helping out with schools, but I think there should also be a school use tax. Every large apartment building that goes up means a new school referendum and more tax for property owners.... >:( >:( >:(
Why not just 1 pain free day?