iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to clean gritty boards

Started by Brad_S., February 11, 2009, 09:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I'm looking for ideas, please.
I have several thousand boardfeet of weathered and/or gritty lumber that plays havoc on planer blades. I am trying to devise an easy way of cleaning them prior to planing short of pressure washing them. The ideal machine for the job is the Makita wheel sander but it is expensive and only covers 4 1/2 inches at a time.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/mak04-09.html
I have never seen a pallet board de-duster in person but imagine it too might do the job, but I am looking for something that can handle up to 16" widths.
I am thinking about attaching an electric motor with an arbor to the sawhead and using wire brushes like the Makita's, only more cost effective brushes instead. Has anyone else done anything like this? Does anyone know where to get cylindrical wire brushes cheaper than the Makita ones?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

bull

how bout a leaf blow..... I have use one in the past !!

scsmith42

Brad, I haven't done this, so it's pure spectulation, but I think that I would mount a couple of spring loaded cylinder brushes in front of my planer (on both sides of the board), with a housing around them that's attached to suction, and a blower inforcing the debris back and away (to the sides) of the brushes.

Here is one source for cylinder brushes:

http://www.precisionbrush.com/Item/CBM.htm

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

metalspinner

Perhaps a very deep cut on the initial pass with the planer can get under the grit embedded in the surface.  If the boards have large open pores like red oak, its unlikely brushing will get most of the grit.  Pressure washing may be your best option, IMHO.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tom

It's messy, but pressure washing is probably the best way.  Boards that have some age, have the offending abrasive matter imbedded in little cracks and crevices where air doesn't do a good job of getting rid of it.  The water would be on the surface and would dry fairly quickly.

logwalker

Maybe find a shop that can send thru an abrasive belt sander. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!