iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jd 440 parts needed

Started by Frozendozer, February 14, 2020, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozendozer

Hi folks

I llent my skidder to a friend and now its broke.  Apparently the front wheel fell off.  He tells me the front hub got stripped out and the hub cap is gone
  Anyone out there can help?

snowstorm

440 and the 440 a had cast hubs with the hub cap you speak of. the replacements back 35 yrs ago when you could buy them from deere. were set in devcon plastic steel. that worked. your axle shaft may be ok. the problem will be finding a hub. you might have to buy a axle housing to get a good hub. the front is easier to change than the rear 

tacks Y

What is a "hub cap"? The axle stub? The little thing with 2 bolts that goes on the axle? Are you talking about the large steel disc? I may have what you need. Can you post a pic?

Frozendozer

Hub caps on my manual is the cap that has the two big bolts through it.  Its holds the hub onto the axle shaft whitch has a spline gear on it.

Its appears that one bolt came loose and the other broke off.  The cap is lost in the snow and the hub with tire still bolted on came off the axle.  The spline gear in the hub is wore down  the axle appears fine.. 

I need the cap and the hub.  I will post some pics when I get them from my friend.

tacks Y

I think I have the cap. Is the hub the big round plate? Or is there another part? I just came in and was up by a set of axles, should have looked. Will try to remember in the am. 

tacks Y

You are a looooooong ways from me. I never looked before.

Frozendozer

Lol  it's not that far considering I dont need to drive it.

tacks Y

I looked this morning, did not remember if there was a hub and the big disc. I have the cap, but the only hubs I have are on axles. I would like to sell the axles ( I have a front and rear). But removing the hub make the axles worthless to me. I may build another skidder someday. Or trying to sell as is. If you find the hub I can mail a cap. I was told to keep a eye on the cap for rust, if so it is loose and needs tightened. 

Frozendozer

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. My search still continues  however I got a couple of leads go follow up on.   

snowstorm

a new or good used hub   must   be set in epoxy. hub to axle. without it buy 2 hubs you will need them. done right they will last a long time

Frozendozer

@snowstorm   you mean glue the hub to the axle?   Is that why, when I see hibs for sale they come with axel, because it's impossible to separate them?   Should I try to glue them together  before buying a replacement?

snowstorm

Yes. As I remember it was devcon liculid steel. There may be something better now. It worked well. I would not expect to find one that didn't come with the axle

Frozendozer

Snowstorm   was this epoxy applied at the factory or was it a practice developed by the folks who actually use the equipment?

If my hub fell off the spline, perhaps I need to expoxy all my hubs?

snowstorm

As I recall Deere came up with the fix. Seems odd that yours was not done 30yrs ago. How is everything in Whitehorse? Cold?

Frozendozer

Whitehorse was -32 this morning.  Iam working about 300km north in a small town called pelly crossing , its warmnd up -47 this morning.  The last two mornings were below-50

tacks Y

Frozen,  Sounds to cold to work. Why grab a truck and come get a couple complete axles.

Snow,  Did JD go around make these right? Or if they come loose here is how you fix them?

snowstorm

The fix was put a new hub on with the epoxy. Deere go around and fix them all. You got to be kidding. If the spline is loose plastic is not going to work

Frozendozer

Got the parts from Wally's private parts in salmon arm british columbia.   

Thank You Sponsors!