iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

100 year old white pine

Started by Dana, August 23, 2013, 11:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I'm on my way to the up to pick up some white pine timbers today. Can someone give me the dry weight of 7"x12" x24' white pine timbers?

If my calculations are right the tool box tells me that there is 168 bd ft in one timber and that it should weigh 504 lbs green. But I'm sure they lost a bit of weight in the last 100 years.

I need the number to know how many I can carry for dot loading.

Thanks dana
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dana

red oaks lumber

dry w.pine is closer to 1850 lbs./ thousand
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The reason that there are two different answers given is because the 2250 pounds is for 1000 BF that is exactly 1.0" thick.  But one BF of softwoods is not exactly that 1.0" thickness or are not full width either.  So, the 1850 number represents actual weight of 1000 BF that is 1.5" thick ( and not 2" ) and 5.5" wide (and not 6").  Note that BF uses the nominal size and not the actual size for softwoods.

It would seem that you could use the weight per cubic foot for dry pine.  When lumber is exactly 1.00" thick, then 12 BF per cubic feet.  so, Take 2250 pounds and divide by 1000 to get 2.25 pounds per bf.  then, as there are 12 BF per cubic foot, then multiply by 12 to get pounds per cubic foot, or 27 pounds per cubic foot.

Now, if the timber is exactly 7.0" x 12.0" x 24', then each timber is 7 x 12 x 24 / 144 = 14 cubic feet and will weigh 14 x 27 = 378 pounds assuming the wood is at 12% MC.  If 40% MC, 472 pounds roughly.  When green, close to 680 pounds.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Dana

We got back late last night with the load of logs. Thanks to everyone who helped make sure we weren't overloaded.

Thank You Sponsors!