iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade board drag back question

Started by Kenny.jenkins, June 20, 2019, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny.jenkins

I have a 2006 Wood Mizer LT 40 manual band saw mill.I have added a hydraulic log. I was wondering if anyone has added a board drag back on a mill like mine. If so could you tell me how you built it and how to mount it. Pictures would be great. thanks in advance.
Kenny

pineywoods

I wouldn't do that. The feed motor on a manual mill isn't husky enough to handle a dragback, and even if it was, the electrical system ain't. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bandmill Bandit

I added a Woodmizer manual board return to my LT40 hydraulic mill and "discovered" that the carriage drive motor wasn't NOT robust enough to handle more than 1"X material and no longer than 12' and that was pushing it. Just like Pineywoods stated!

I did the carriage drive upgrade to the the same one that is used on the super and did wire upgrades to ALL the drive motors as well and everything works great now.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Brucer

I attached the drag back from an LT40 Super to my regular LT40. The wiring was already installed and there was a knock-out on the control panel for the switch.

Nobody told me the feed motor and wiring were too small, so it worked OK ;D ;D.  I was routinely pulling back slabs from 30' Douglas-Fir logs. Mind you, I was dragging them back onto a set of roller tables.

The only problem I encountered was longevity of the feed belt -- it's pretty low.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!