iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

These will dull a blade and you want even know it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 07, 2013, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAYAR

The OP said it was not detectable with a metal detector. If it's small enough, some detectors will not pick it up and others will.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Magicman

Was not metal, it was hardened resin pockets.  Not unusual to find in SYP.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodpecker52

I use to put old soda bottles found in the woods in the forks of young trees,  found one the other day just the neck sticking out of a tree trunk, someone some day can write about sawing glass on a post in the future.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Ed_K

Wish I had a picture of the rock we put into the crotch of a yellow birch while blasting ledge in the green mountain national forest. It was 2'x2'x3' about 15' up in that tree. We had to take cover in a 60" culvert,broken windshield on two trucks. Boss says I think I put to many sticks in :D.
Ed K

Bruno of NH

We hit some rock hard pitch in a big white pine on Monday. 
It was so hard we had to change the band 8° cobalt
It started diving in the cut.
If I remember right the log had a 8ft scare in the bark that was healed over.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Here is what a crotch rock will do.  :o

And then you change the blade.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Beauty Hardwood

Many years ago in a mill that I worked at I was cutting some big walnut logs of about 4 feet diameter on a bandsaw with 6 foot band wheels and 12 inch wide band and I hit a jar of nuts and bolts that had been placed in the fork of a branch and had been completely covered over by growth, it tore about a dozen teeth completely off. Another time I hit  bridge spike that had been hammered into a tree as they used to do to tie the horses to. Have also cut through 22 bullets, they show up as shiny spots and don't do damage as they are soft.

Nomad

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on June 19, 2019, 09:54:36 PM
I use to put old soda bottles found in the woods in the forks of young trees,  found one the other day just the neck sticking out of a tree trunk, someone some day can write about sawing glass on a post in the future.

Already did that.  Hit a Pepsi bottle in a Live Oak tree with my Lucas.  Freshly sharpened blade, too.  Did that saw no favors at all.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

tmbrcruiser

I hit a g white glass insulator that was nailed to the tree. Never made it thru the insulator, blade went dead on contact.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!