iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found the next victim

Started by hackberry jake, May 11, 2015, 07:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

When I sawed that tree, the boards off the mill looked pretty much like normal red oak.  After I dried and planed some it the color showed up.  About half of the boards could pass for run of the mill red oak.  30% had a dirty stained looked but the final 20% had drop dead waves of glorious color...similar to the picture.  I made a couple of decorative boxes for friends, saved a bit, and used one special board over a door way when I trimmed out the house.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

hackberry jake

Should've made cookies out of it! I have the "stable cookie recipe" if you'd like it  ;D. The red oak cookies I made a few months ago haven't cracked in the slightest.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Take freshly felled/cut cookies. Add pentacryl to each side until it stops absorbing. Tape round pieces of cardboard to the ends to slow moisture loss and put in a cool dry place for about a month. Remove the cardboard and surface both sides of the cookie (a router sled would work nicely for this). Let the freshly surfaced face dry in open air for a day or so and then apply a light (hand rubbed) coat of table top epoxy (this seals up the pores so the next coat doesn't get bubbles or turn cloudy). Let harden for 24hrs and pour a thicker coat of epoxy. If too much epoxy is applied it will start running down the bark. Just use a cheap brush and paint the bark with the excess epoxy. The epoxy gets applied to both sides as a moisture retardent so you might as well stain one side for a different appearance. Apply salt to taste and serve at room temperature.  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dad2FourWI

Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe!!!

My wife wanted some but I kept dragging my feet... I have enough cracked cookies already!

This looks very interesting!!!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

Thank You Sponsors!