iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

summer chores 2020

Started by doc henderson, May 18, 2020, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

we have had 3 roofs from hail done, and a couple of driveway assessments for hail on vehicles.  no one has ever said anything.  don't ask, don't tell.   :)  our agent is still form out in Hays!  wood stove in the shop is the same way.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Maybe he is the person that removed the "Weather Rock" that hung in Hays at the intersection of I70 & Hwy 183?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Does Hays still "Has jobs?"  Funny the catchy slogans you will remember.  Here is the Shop Smith setup.  I hold the stake with two hands, one between the table and the cutter and the other off the back side of the table where you see my right hand.  I can pick up a stake, point it, and set it down in 5 seconds when doing batches.  

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I have traveled from I70 to I80 on Hwy 183 many times.  We generally took that route when heading West and then through Dodge City on the way back home.  Bad thing about the Southern route through Dodge City was the cattle feed lots.  :o  whiteflag_smiley
smiley_airfreshener
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

I was on a trampoline at a party in college home from the summer with a couple girls drinking and bouncing. I was paying too much attention to the bouncing going on  and not where I was bouncing towards, which was the edge. I promptly missed the fabric and landed a straddle a spring. Never before was I as happy to be over six foot tall. Embarrassed yeah, hurt only my pride by the slimmest of margins. Glad it was before cell phones.

WV Sawmiller

Statics have proven "The more attractive the girl and the more witnesses there are the more likely something like that will happen." :D

Then again, Larry the Cable Guy always says "87% of all statistics are just made up on the spot." ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

will had some friends that wanted to hang out, and he had chores.  so they offered to help.

It is the mulberry tree half dead processed into firewood for next winter.

this shot shows the roller bucking frame, and the crate that the wood is conveyed into.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

this thread is for all to post summer chores if you like, and it will not be considered "hi-jacked"   :)

doc henderson

I use this crane device to unload and load logs, with several size tongs.  can lift out of a trailer with it on the track loader.  also move my trailers in the yard.  the 32 foot gooseneck in the mud was too much for the added 2 inch receiver.  it had bent several times and the metal fatigued.  Welded back on.  no pic but the end is painted orange for safety.  "watch your head"!

WV Sawmiller

Well if this is for all summer chores I just completed getting 74 bales of hay out of the field and stacked in the barn so with what i had left over from last year I should be good for next winter.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

firefighter ontheside

Well, my summer chore so far is building my drying shed.  It's going slow. Normally my dad would be helping me, but I won't let him.  Im Sure I'd already be drying wood in there if it weren't for the rona.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: doc henderson on June 02, 2020, 08:31:13 PM
any pics?
Nope. Too busy throwing hay. Had the wife driving in the hay field. The neighbor cutting and baling the hay I bought had good help and they loaded most for me on my P/U and 5X8 trailer. My son came down and he stacked in the barn while I unloaded the hay on to my electric hay elevator - a great labor saver.

Howard Green

farmfromkansas

I have some hay down, but none baled.  The brome I was cutting this afternoon was like cutting wet rags. Ideal hay, bad conditions. Need more of that hot, dry wind.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

doc henderson

putting up the firewood.  about 3 crates of "camp"  wood for friends with firepits etc..  and 14 crates of mulberry, locust, elm, oak etc..  loose in the crates from the conveyor, with a little stacking as the crate fill to eliminate large voids.  about 4 crates make a full cord when stacked.

Will getting workout, in the heat.  nice breeze in the shade.

firefighter ontheside

I have a log cabin with no fireplace.  Sometimes I lament that fact, but then I think about all the time I don't spend cutting firewood. Now, I produce enough from my mill that I would not have to go in the woods to get it.  

I have to work for my wife the next few days, as her assistant is on vacation.  My wife is an audiologist with a private practice, so I just answer the phone and sometimes make calls to doctors offices and hearing aid companies for her.  This is gonna delay me getting my first load of lumber into the drying shed, but i will get some in there this week.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

She won't want you helping if every time you answer anybody in the office or on the phone with" Speak up I can't hear you!!"  :D :o

Just kidding. Nice of you to help out!! ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

No joke.  It can be very difficult to be answering the phone at an audiology office when people on the other end can't hear.  Cindy and her assistant are better at it than me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

firefighter ontheside

I'm the doctor's assistant today.  I've answered the phone numerous times today to folks who could not hear me.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

hedgerow

Summer chores around here consist of a fair amount of mowing lawn and road sides spraying corn and beans and trying to get some hedge {Osage Orange} trees cut. Had my two helpers last Saturday out and we spent twelve hours logging out some hedge trees. We started before six A.M. and we were pulling out of the pasture gate at six P.M. I think all three of us are getting too old to cut that long in the heat. I spend most of the day hauling trees and piling brush with a skid loader the AC is not working on. I need to haul it home and get it in my shop and find the freon leak. I think its the front seal on the compressor and the compressor is buried in the engine compartment. 

doc henderson

I had just replaced my damaged (ice storm) power line to my shop.  My son and I ran underground conduit.  was going to scrap the galvanized mast, but decided to make this to help with lifting with the crane.  had a bunch of  8 x 20 concrete paver mats deliver.  with a chain the long way they try to curve into a U shape.  so make this from the old galv. mast section.  

much better to get onto a trailer.

Thank You Sponsors!