iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flu cleaning

Started by Bncyom33, November 24, 2019, 11:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bncyom33

I have a question on the use of the creosote cleaning logs or any of the burnable flu cleaners? Does anyone use them or are they snake oil? Now I'm not trying to be lazy by any means. I am that guy that's on his roof cleaning the flu in the dead of winter on a roof packed with snow. However if the things actually work I might try them out. Any thoughts?
Jonsereds 70e, CS2152,Stihl MS360, Poulan 655 Bp, poulan 3700 and a 25ton splitter

lxskllr

No idea, but this thread definitely interests me. I'm always skeptical of easy solutions to anything, and have always cleaned my chimney with a brush, but if I could throw a "cleaning log" on every so often for a bit of insurance in addition to the brush, it would give added peace of mind.

Bncyom33

Jonsereds 70e, CS2152,Stihl MS360, Poulan 655 Bp, poulan 3700 and a 25ton splitter

Old Greenhorn

I have always thought of these as snake oil too, but I have no real basis for that. I like to inspect the chimney when I clean it and make sure everything is sound. With some of the old stoves I had, I would have to do a mid-season cleaning, but with the new one, its just once a year. I'd like to hear any opinions on how these things work or if they don't.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skip

The powder absolutley works ! :) 

bluthum

I've used different powders. Seems like sometimes they work sometimes not. Can't figure it but am still using it.  I try to brush monthly any way, not to mention only using dry wood. Slow fires are also the enemy....

Skip

Slow fires and wet are the worst . >:(

Al_Smith

I think the idea behind them is they actually cause a flue fire .Sounds silly to me .I suppose though perhaps at a level the residue of combustion has not reached enough build up to become a destructive hazard .
I don't use them .Just stoke it up  and let it burn wide open for 15 or so minutes in the morning .The only creosote I get is the top 6 or so inches above the brick  chimney where the stainless steel liner  is exposed to the cold air .

Logging logginglogging

In the summer time when not using the flue /  chimney, Place a jar of Ammonia at the bottom of it, just inside the clean out door. Leave it that way all summer, in the fall when you go to clean it, you will find the fumes going up made the creosote flake off nicely and will clean much easier.

Thank You Sponsors!