iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AC/Delco TJ225 Starter Motor

Started by David-L, November 21, 2014, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

AC/Delco starter in a 225TJ is froze when cold. Say under 22 degrees and you can here the solenoid getting current but no action to the bendix. I heat for 5 minutes with the tile gun and away she spins. Is this moisture in the housing or just smegma from all the years of starts and could be cleaned up.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

David-L

North River Energy

Does that starter have a piggyback solenoid, or is it remote mount?

If the former, make sure there isn't any spoo inside the barrel.

Had a Bosch automotive starter that had been rebuilt poorly, including some sort of lithium-like grease all over the solenoid plunger.  As soon as it got cold, the solenoid either wouldn't pull hard enough to complete the motor circuit, or it would then stick and the motor would continue to spin with the key off. 

I'd imagine accumulated machine oil could do the same thing.

David-L

Thats what I am thinking, spoo and moisture. I will dismantle it on a warmer day. requires moving the filter cans, motor oil and primary fuel to get at it reasonably.

tantoy

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

bushmechanic

Frost will get between the bushings and the shaft and lock them up solid. Condensation will build up and the resulting rust takes all the lubrication. I had to remove and clean up then lubricate a whack of starters last winter on school busses. They were 6.7 liter ISB's Cummins and the factory had installed a plug in the bell housing... now way for resulting condensation to get out so the drive end of the starter would rust.When the cold weather hit the bus wouldn't turn over and as you said warm it and gone. I removed the culprit plug and no issues since, after cleaning the drive ends up. Anyway looks like you have a starter removal on your hands, or as I recall some of those older starters have plugs that you can put some lube down to the bushings. Well good luck.

David-L

Tantoy, it's a 353 non turbo. Bushmechanic, I will look for a lube cap after I clean that area up. Is it easier to get to the bottom 12 point with the pans off of this machine. (225 TJ ) Seems when I tightened the pan gasket I could see the bottom stud for the starter. Well, I'll wait for a warm afternoon, till then it's the tile gun. Thanks.

David-L

Just finished looking at the gear reduction starters from Masco. Are the Delco /Remy 30 or 35MT starters CW rotation always. It says that the mounting plate is movable to fit on a 53 series. Anybody running one of these on a 53 series detroit. Might go for it as It's going to be a cost to have the old one cleaned up. maybe have it for a spare.

OntarioAl

David
I think your problem lies with worn contacts in the solenoid. They have become temperature sensitive. When you pull the starter disassemble the solenoid clean up and shim the contacts and you should be good to go. Trust me on this I have been down this road before with all sorts of starters on logging equipment.
Hope this hlps
Al
Al Raman

Maine logger88

That Clark I'm renting has a gear reduction starter it sounds like it turns over twice as fast as the delco on my Jack
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

deerguy

Hey fella's thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on those gear reduction starters. I installed 1 on my John Deere farm tractor a year ago and it's ready for the scrap heap. Initial roll sounded really fast and today its a crawl. Plus this tractor sits in a heated garage all winter for snow plowing so the starter doesn't have 10 real cold starts on it.
I know it might just be a bad break and I got a crappy starter, but with the miserable job to change the 1 on my 353, there is no way I would take the chance !!
Good luck either way, that bottom bolt is an interesting 1 to deal with...
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

Oliver05262

Hey deerguy, I'm dealing with that short life issue right now, on a TJ240A with a Deutz F6L912 in it. The Delco starter burned up last March, and I couldn't get a rebuilt quickly, mostly because no parts place had a listing for a TJ with a Deutz. Plenty on the shelf for a Detroit or a Cummins..............
  Wilson rebuilts have always been good for me, and the local NAPA store crossed the original Delco number to a gear reduction starter that bolted right up. Cranked over like summertime, and I thought we were good as gold. That starter failed a week ago, but at least it's under warranty. They now have a Delco reman for the original starter 1998380, and shipped one from PA. It got to the store, but UPS had given it a drop test somewhere and busted  the solenoid. I'll have all the parts sometime Monday. Over a week down for a darn starter!!!!!
  I did some parts interchange searching while we're waiting, and another application for that Delco is on a Farmall or International 686 farm tractor with a 310 or 312 engine. Next time, maybe Salem Farm Supply will be my parts source......
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

David-L

Gonna fix the old one and get another umpteen years out of It I hope. Looks like a fun one to take out.

David l

tj240

if i remeber right the bottom bolt you can get with long extentions and a universal as you work out the bolt slide the starter with it. when you replace it have the bolt already in the hole or it wont start in. a couple turns slide the starter. hope this helps and hope i remembered right. good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

bushmechanic

David-L there aren't any lube caps but there are 1/8 pipe plugs. You need a good arsenal of tools to get those starters off. It's not too bad if it has the origional twelve point heads on the bolts but in most cases someone has lost them and installed 5/8 bolts. I have a 15/16 wrench cut in two and a 15/16 socket from Japan which is really shallow and works good with long extensions. It's not a bad job but you have to get the oil filter out of the way ( and make a big mess).

treeslayer2003

Quote from: David-L on November 22, 2014, 07:46:37 AM
Just finished looking at the gear reduction starters from Masco. Are the Delco /Remy 30 or 35MT starters CW rotation always. It says that the mounting plate is movable to fit on a 53 series. Anybody running one of these on a 53 series detroit. Might go for it as It's going to be a cost to have the old one cleaned up. maybe have it for a spare.
yes, love it. i won't buy any other kind now.........turns fast and starts great in the cold. i hate them bulky delcos.

Puffergas

Had about the same problem with my JD back hoe. Every spring it became harder to get the starter to turn over and a few years ago no go. It's out in the open but a bug a boo to remove. Tore it apart and cleaned it and it's been starting for a couple years now.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Thank You Sponsors!