iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clogger pants

Started by sumpnz, January 17, 2021, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumpnz

What's the recommended clogger pants these days?  I think I'd prefer them to chaps.  Need a set for myself and my 14 year old (he hasn't started sawing yet, but will soon).  Mostly will be bucking firewood.  Occasionally felling.  Not climbing trees though (I'm too scared of heights).

Old Greenhorn

The only member I know for sure wears C Loggers is @nybhh  and he wears the Gen2. I am not sure that they don't have a new design out, but going to their website might answer that fo you. If you search the forum for 'chainsaw pants' you will find a lot of discussion in the last couple of years. I started one of those myself. I wear the Elvex pants myself and am pleased with them. They are less expensive than the C loggers and that made my decision. 
 Good luck.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Philbert

I am normally a 'chaps guy', but got a chance to try the Clogger 'Zero' pants. Very comfortable, and allow a very good range of movement.

I never really 'forgot that I had them on': the protective pads feel like wearing a thick pair of sweat pants, and I got an occasional breeze through the fixed side vents (there is also a 'winter' version without the vents). But I was in no hurry to take them off.

Very different from other chainsaw protective pants I had tried in the past. They also fit differently than jeans, with a very short rise in the front, which took a little getting used to. The elastic, rear waistband, and stretchy fabric create a slim, comfortable fit, even for 'mature' figures like mine.

They also offer custom sizing, and at least one of their sizing charts lists a 'short leg' option, for guys who have trouble getting a good fit,

Phllbert

sumpnz

Didn't realize "clogger" was a brand.  So let's say "chainsaw safety pants" as a general term instead.

barbender

I thought it was a typo for "logger"🤷🏽‍♂️😂
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

Thought you were learning to dance
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Real1shepherd

Holy cow....looking at prices for these pants! I'd have to know more how they hold up day end and day out. How do you wash them(or don't) etc. I'm assuming they don't 'tear' in the traditional sense? Do they feel 'heavy' like you're wearing weights?

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

Well, I can't afford the Cloggers, but the Elvex that I have are similar. My pants breath really well and yes the padded areas are hot, but the breathing offsets it enough that if I wear them for a full working day in June I am not in an all fired up hurry to get the off at night. Chaps on the other hand come off the second I am done with them. The Cloggers, from what I can see are just better, lighter, and cooler than the Elvex. Both pants are pretty light and quite comfortable. They are also quite durable as far as my experience goes. I machine wash my Elvex pants per the label and line dry them. But, as with my good wool hunting clothes I try not to wash them more often than they really need.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Real1shepherd

I've done the same with Carhartt's; hose them off outside and let them dry on a line. If you start machine washing them, they just come apart.

Good advice, thanks. The Elex were a hundred dollars less than the Cloggers, so I can see the attraction. Madsen's has double front loggin' jeans(w/pads) for around $50. But of course no protection against your saw.

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that's true and I was really worried about machine washing but they came through fine and I checked carefully to make sure the 'stuffing material' was flat and not bunched up. I finally washed them because the mud was building up and working into the material, which is not good. The reason I never really looked into the jeans with pads is because those pads are only on the front, there is no wrap around in the statistical high cut areas (left ankle for instance) and the jean are still jeans they soak up water like a wick, are hot, don't dry fast, and find every burr within 100 yards. The Elvex pants and I believe the Cloggers have some pretty hardened material on the fronts so walking through briars is much like having good chaps on, just wade right through. BUT, don't back up. The back sides of the Elvex have less than zero protection. In fact, when I first put them on I felt like I was wearing some kind of weird kinky pants with an open backside. They breath well out the back, lets put it that way. ;D I'm not certain, because I am not that flexible, but I think you may be able to tell what color underwear I am wearing from the rear view. My wife only said "They make your butt look cute". The fronts are tough, I can kneel on anything and not worry about tearing them, the backs, well lets just say you should always look down before you sit. :D
 I am happy with my choice and I rarely say that easily. I would surely buy them again, but then I have not really 'tested them' ...yet. Not really looking forward to that anyway.

Skeans1

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 19, 2021, 06:26:16 PM
I've done the same with Carhartt's; hose them off outside and let them dry on a line. If you start machine washing them, they just come apart.

Good advice, thanks. The Elex were a hundred dollars less than the Cloggers, so I can see the attraction. Madsen's has double front loggin' jeans(w/pads) for around $50. But of course no protection against your saw.

Kevin
The button in chaps are protection and are what most guys use well production cutting. Myself I'll stick to chaps do they get warm yes but they have many uses unless a chainsaw pant.

teakwood

pfanner pants, hands down the best pants there is, for warm temps. I will never change again. comfy and light as a jogging pant, expensive though. but worth every penny. I use mine since 8years, 1-2month/year, in nasty topical climate and bush. have washed them over 20times and their as good as new. bought a second pair 2 years ago

TreeStuff - Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation Red Chainsaw Pants
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

shelby78

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 18, 2021, 12:14:40 PM
Holy cow....looking at prices for these pants! I'd have to know more how they hold up day end and day out. How do you wash them(or don't) etc. I'm assuming they don't 'tear' in the traditional sense? Do they feel 'heavy' like you're wearing weights?

Kevin
I've worn Stihl chainsaw pants for 20 years... Roughly 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week 8 months a year. You can get multiple versions with full front and rear protection or just front.
Pants are heavier than jeans for sure but you get used to it. Very hot when you get into plus 35 Celcius..
The Stihls I find fit looser in the legs and I prefer that. I have tried the fancier (tight) pants and hate the feel and look.
This sounds bad but I wear my pants for the full 5 day week then wash on the weekend in the machine and dry in the machine.. I get at least a year out of them.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: shelby78 on January 22, 2021, 06:52:40 AM

Kevin
I've worn Stihl chainsaw pants for 20 years... Roughly 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week 8 months a year. You can get multiple versions with full front and rear protection or just front.
Pants are heavier than jeans for sure but you get used to it. Very hot when you get into plus 35 Celcius..
The Stihls I find fit looser in the legs and I prefer that. I have tried the fancier (tight) pants and hate the feel and look.
This sounds bad but I wear my pants for the full 5 day week then wash on the weekend in the machine and dry in the machine.. I get at least a year out of them.
I'm only mildly considering pants like these because I'm older and my reaction time I'm sure, is slower than it used to be. Previously I just wore double front loggin' pants and replaced when worn out. Of course there's no protection from the CS chain.

The shows and bosses in my generation didn't give a wiff about anyone's safety unless they were mandated to by OSHA and L&I. You were completely on your own and you honed your reflexes accordingly. I just don't think I should 100% trust my reflexes anymore.

If the pants can stay cool and hold up, I can see the advantage over chaps. I have worn chaps in the past when it was cool enough and I had patience for them.

Kevin

DeerMeadowFarm

I have a pair of Husqvarna chainsaw pants. For me they are great. Less bulky than my chaps (which are full wrap style from Labomville) and I don't get hung up on straps or the edges of my chaps getting on and off the tractor. One time in the winter I took a header getting out of my tractor when the leg strap of my chaps got hung up on the 4wd selector lever of my tractor when I was exiting the vehicle. Pants eliminate this....

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 22, 2021, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: shelby78 on January 22, 2021, 06:52:40 AM

Kevin
The Stihls I find fit looser in the legs and I prefer that. I have tried the fancier (tight) pants and hate the feel and look.
I'm only mildly considering pants like these because I'm older and my reaction time I'm sure, is slower than it used to be. Previously I just wore double front loggin' pants and replaced when worn out. Of course there's no protection from the CS chain.

The shows and bosses in my generation didn't give a wiff about anyone's safety unless they were mandated to by OSHA and L&I. You were completely on your own and you honed your reflexes accordingly. I just don't think I should 100% trust my reflexes anymore.

If the pants can stay cool and hold up, I can see the advantage over chaps. I have worn chaps in the past when it was cool enough and I had patience for them.

Kevin
I get it Kevin, I was kind of in the same frame of mind a few years ago. I looked at them all. The CLoggers were my first choice, but that price was more than I could go. All the other major players struck me as too stiff and klugey and ORANGE. If I take it hard in the woods, they can find me by other means than my orange pants. :) I landed on the Elvex because they met the specs, were in a workable price range, and were very breathable. I took a chance. It turned out well for me. I like these a lot for full day of cutting work.
 I work mostly alone and with little equipment, which means I drop a tree, buck the logs, skid it and work it up on the log pile then do another. So i am not on the saw more than 10% of my day, so it is always a toss-up as to whether I wear chaps, or put the pants on in the morning. I just know when I wear the pants they are comfortable and I don't glow like an advertisement when I stop in a deli for lunch. The pants are SO much more comfortable then the chaps. My wife says they make my butt look cute too and at my age I sure don't hear that much anymore. :D

Real1shepherd

Great to know, thanks again. I can buy a lot of double front loggin' pants from Madsen's for the price of one of these. Maybe I should be more concerned with safety at this point.

I like your comments about color....I too don't want to be a living billboard for orange pants. Like you, if they gotta come find me, I really don't think the orange pants will make any difference.

I've always worn suspenders on loggin' pants.....what about that aspect? I don't wanna be cinching up my pants all day without suspenders....

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

Well I might wear these without a belt, but not without suspenders. They come with loops on the top of the waist band which you could put suspender clips on, but I don't like clipped suspenders, I like buttons. So I bought a dozen button rivets on ebay and installed them.

You can see one of the clip loops standing up in the back of this photo.

On the whole, I like them and no regrets on the cost.

Greenhighlander

I apologize if this is a stupid question , but do these pants offer the same level of protection as full wrap chaps ?   

sumpnz

Quote from: Greenhighlander on January 23, 2021, 05:24:33 PM
I apologize if this is a stupid question , but do these pants offer the same level of protection as full wrap chaps ?  

They are supposed to.  Probably depends on level of protection but the good ones should be at least as protective but more comfortable.

DHansen

Do any of the pant style come with suspender buttons?  I also dislike the clips.  I see Husqvarna has a set with suspenders, but I am not sure how the suspenders are attached.

Old Greenhorn

I dislike the clips too. See my post above. It is so easy to put buttons on any pants you want. I just buy the buttons on ebay (really cheap), mark them carefully, stick 'em in and whack with a wood mallet. Done. You can put them on any pants you want. It's better that way too because button placement depends on the style of braces you have if they are the Y type or the X type. Firefighter bunker gear comes with the buttons in a bag so you can put the buttons in locations to match your suspenders. I guess that's how I got in the habit years ago.
 I have a pair of carhart lined jeans I have been meaning to put them on for a while now. I should get after that. ;D

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Real1shepherd

Yeah, clip-ons are for grandpas that don't work anymore. This grandpa has to work. Madsen's also sells button kits and good performing suspenders.

I was just curious if any of these high-dollar pants came with the buttons installed.

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

As I recall when I was shopping a few years ago, some have them as an option. Truly I don't mind putting my own on and it allows me to match the location to suit a particular set of braces and also match how the pants fit on my body so that the shoulders don't tend to want to slide off. I think I paid about 2 bucks on ebay a couple years back. Also, those buttons work good on my felling belt to hold the first aid kit on.

Thank You Sponsors!