iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Mayfell Z5Ec bandsaw--how useful are they

Started by esarratt, April 09, 2021, 10:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

I was wondering about peoples' experience with the Mayfell Z5Ec bandsaw for timberframing.  How useful are they?

BarnMB

We mostly use ours for decorative work. It has a few other uses but not many. 

What are you hoping to use it for?

logman

It's very useful.  Curves obviously but I use mine to do the cuts on birdsmouths and sometimes tenon end cuts.  I lucked out and got a lightly used one for half the cost of a new one.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

esarratt

Thank you for the input.

I would be using it for tenons initially.  I don't have any decorative work projects in the near future.

flyingparks

I tried using it for tenon purposes but was unhappy with the deflection. great for cutting curves in large pieces but if I'm cutting curves on normal knee braces, I use a stationary bandsaw. The Mafell is a fun tool to have though.

CJ

Pretty pricey for cutting tenons in my opinion. I have a 10" Milwaukee circular saw to cut them and then use a hands saw to cut the final little bit, and at a fraction of the price of this bandsaw, I would certainly think about it. I wanted to buy of those myself for cutting the arcs for my rafters, but again the cost didn't warrant it. I used an adze to do the bulk removal and then a spokeshave to refine the rest. 
I guess if you have a business and you will get a lot of use out from it, then I'd say, yeah, buy it. That's just my two cents worth. Cheers!

Thank You Sponsors!