iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

labonville pants

Started by nyyounggun16, March 03, 2014, 08:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyyounggun16

I love these winter pants have worn them for years ordered a new pair and it seems the size is way off. I even went a size bigger to allow for more shirts and I can't hardly button them lol anyone else had this problem?

clww

Wait a few more years and you'll really have problems with "shrinking" pants. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Offthebeatenpath

I love the insulated Labonville pants, but they are notorious for being way off size-wise.  They always run at least bit small, but sometimes they are WAY small.  I always try on a bunch of sizes to get the right ones, but I'm lucky enough to have a couple Labonville stores within an hour's drive of me.

Basic rule- if you're a 32 waist, order a 36, but that rule is far from foolproof. The length is usually pretty right on.

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

pineywoods

Quote from: clww on March 03, 2014, 09:12:09 AM
Wait a few more years and you'll really have problems with "shrinking" pants. ;D

Yeah, and it never stops. I bought 8 sets of pants/shirts. The clothes dryer keeps shrinking the pants  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Claybraker

Since we're on the topic, I was just about to order a pair of chaps from Bailey's. I've never owned a pair before, but ya'll have talked me into it. I don't need insulated, and I cut maybe a full 1/2 a face cord a year, but they need to be somewhat comfortable. Any suggestions?

clww

I wear the "Work Safe" orange chaps every day I work. Should be about $75 w/ shipping.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

HiTech

I bought a new pair and the waist is small and also they are short waisted. Not long enough from crotch to waist. They are like Hip-Huggers. Your back is always exposed to the elements. I doubt I will ever buy another pair. Someplace out there someone still makes quality clothing. I will just keep looking.

clww

Bailey's is currently having a sale on logging jeans-their "Wild Ass" brand. I've worn these for years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

Quote from: Claybraker on March 03, 2014, 10:57:36 AM
Since we're on the topic, I was just about to order a pair of chaps from Bailey's. I've never owned a pair before, but ya'll have talked me into it. I don't need insulated, and I cut maybe a full 1/2 a face cord a year, but they need to be somewhat comfortable. Any suggestions?

Most places that sell chaps, such as bailey's have a size chart in the catalog. Labonville has good chaps. Personally I would shy away from "apron" chaps and spend the money on "full wrap" chaps or even a pair of the lined pants. Its 1 more layer and keeps the mud off you up here when fighting cable. Your looking for something thats got more than 2 buckles, mine have 1 on the thigh and 3 down by the boot. Comstock Logging supply is always running deals and he treats me right, he ships stuff all over.

Claybraker

I'm currently leaning towards the Labonville full wrap. They may be a little warm for down here, but hopefully they'll be good protection against blackberry thickets also.

John Mc

Labonville full wrap chaps are good chap with excellent protection -- but they are warm. If you are in GA, I hope you're not doing a whole lot of summertime cutting (or if so, that you can do it in short spells, rather than spending a full day in 90 degree weather)... Stay Hydrated!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Claybraker

Very limited cutting. The odd tree that falls across a trail, maybe enough firewood for a campfire or two, that's about it. On a tough day, I might possibly go through a full tank.

Southside

Full wrap chaps are the only way to go, the pair I wear daily are Husky, my only gripe is they don't have a big enough pouch on the front but that is pretty minor.  I was showing a prospective client the lot I am now working on last evening and without even thinking about it I just walked through a patch of green briars to get to where I was going, he stopped dead in his tracks and asked me how I did not get all torn up doing "that".  Last summer the copperhead I came across was not quite so scary knowing I had multiple layers of kevlar between us. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John Mc

I agree with the full-wrap chaps vs apron style.  Much better protection with the full wrap. I use the Husqvarna "Forest Pro" full wrap chaps (Bailey's used to carry them, though I don't see them on their site now).  At my recommendation, my brother-in-law bought a pair of the Labonville chaps (which Bailey's does carry, or you can get them from Labonville). He is very satisfied with them.

Remember that Labonville sells Regular full wrap chaps (6 ply Kevlar protection) and "Competition X-Treme" full wrap chaps (10 Ply construction).  The 6 ply stuff meets OSHA requirements and are very solid chaps. The 10 ply were just a bit too hot and bulky for me to consider.

Anothe rthing to keep in mind on chap sizing: Most chap manufacturers do NOT measure the length of this like you measure pants, so don't go out and order a length that matches the inseam length on your jeans. They'll be way too short.  Measure from the top of your belt to the top of your foot (where the laces are on a pair of low-top sneakers). That is the chap length according to most manufacturers.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

BargeMonkey

One of our longtime employees runs one of the logger training programs at home, mostly the skidder rollover and logger rescue. He uses our worn chaps when doing the classes and actually wraps a ham in a set of chaps to show whats going to happen. A smaller saw is stopped by a set of 6 ply chaps pretty easy. I witnessed what a 395 did at full rev, you where still going to the hospital.

Claybraker

I can think of two scenarios I'd be involved with a saw that size. One is cutting down a large tree in my yard, in which case I'd be more than happy to pay someone with the equipment, training, experience and insurance to handle it. The other is cutting timber on my woodlot, in which case they would pay me.

This is something I've been meaning to do, but hadn't got aroundtuit yet. My full wrap Labonville's should be here next Monday. Probably should thank somebody for talking me into it.

47sawdust

WARNING!Labonville pants are great,but.........not so good on a frozen floor deck.A few years back I went to a kneeling position on both knees to do some layout work and almost went off the 2nd floor deck.My partner grabbed me just in time.I'm not so frisky anymore,period.I like their lightweight and warmth....size is weird and they are SLIPPERY.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!