iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Purchase - What Would You Do?

Started by lxskllr, June 12, 2019, 06:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allar

Sorry for going off topic but was poulan only made for american market? Or is it like a partner in Europe?
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

JohnW

I can't advise you about which of those saws you'd like the best, especially the difference in a 362 and 462, but I can't imagine that you'd find that a 661 is just too big for milling.  Are you milling pine mostly?  Same with the bar.  I don't think a 36" bar will disappoint you even when you're cutting a 4" cant.  Good luck with the insurance and milling.

lxskllr

Quote from: lxskllr on June 15, 2019, 01:31:18 PM
 I'm super stoked to run a Poulan again  :^)
The Thrill Is Gone - YouTube
:^D
It runs, but I don't think it likes to. It feels cheaper than my old Poulan. It starts ok, but I have to blip the throttle a couple times to keep it from quitting. On restart, I also have to half choke it, even when it's only been off for a little while. It's heavy for the ccs, and the skip chain is chattery. I've been spoiled by good saws. My echos only require one pull at full choke, and another at half choke to get them going, and they purr like kittens. After they've been run, I only have to reach for the cord to get them to start again  :^D  The Stihls aren't much worse. They require a couple more pulls for the first start, and I actually have to pull the cord after they're warm, but they jump to life, and are ready for work.
I like the price of the Poulan, and the handle scrench storage is nifty. The theft resistance is nice too. I suppose it'll work in a pinch, and will probably make anyone who hasn't run saws before happy enough, but after having good saws, it's disappointing to work with. Hopefully it'll perk up after break in.
Oh, and I'm leaning heavily towards the 661 as the good saw replacement. I have some reservations regarding the usefulness to me vs price point, but it's the only logical way to go within brand. The other contender is the echo 800P. Still contemplating the choices...

sablatnic

Quote from: Allar on June 15, 2019, 03:21:01 PM
Sorry for going off topic but was poulan only made for american market? Or is it like a partner in Europe?
It was the later Partner in Europe, and the cheap Jonsered and Husqvarna too. Now Partner is gone and Jonsered is going, but it is still the cheap Husqvarnas. 
Don't buy them, not worth the effort, buy Stihl - sad that a Husqvarna guy has to say that!
And don't ask me about purchasing saws - normally out of bins. 

luap

You need to have a conversation with your insurance agent. I had a fire once and lost a lot of items. A lightning strike hit the powerline and followed the wire into the building and it was instant fire and knocked out the power for miles around. Under the circumstances there was no question on the cause of the fire.I had replacement cost insurance. They told me to make a list to present to them. Once the list was submitted there were no add ons allowed. They wanted proof of ownership of as many items as possible. A receipt, warranty card, affidavit from seller. They questioned the 10k plus amount of lumber I had. I had a receipt for the logs fortunately. I explained I had a sawmill for my own use and they were satisfied. They said if I was in a sawing business the insurance policy was a homeowners and would not apply. Replacement cost meant exactly that and I could up grade if  the item was no longer available. And did not have to try to get an exact replacement. If I chose not to replace an item then no money paid.  If they suspect fraud ,you may wait a long time to get your money. I submitted the receipts and they promptly paid. Again talk to your agent.

lxskllr

I'm not worried about it. I'm committed now, and they can pay or not. Money's easy to get, and time virtually impossible. When I'm using a saw, time slows down, and money trickles in, so paying for all the replacement stuff is irritating, but fine.

My second 362 was interesting cause it lived at the office, and I could use it while there. I'm not keeping good stuff at the office anymore, and a 362 sitting next to my other 362 isn't interesting. That's pointless. Sizes below the 362 are already filled, so I went with the 661. The brushcutter is virtually a direct replacement, but a different brand; $200 more. They can pay all, a portion(endorsed by me), or nothing. I'm not gonna waste time worrying about it. I would like to find the thief though. I could have some fun with him  ;^)

btulloh

Quote from: lxskllr on June 18, 2019, 06:45:04 PMMoney's easy to get

Perhaps you can expand on this a little.  We're all friends here.  ;)
HM126

lxskllr

Tonight, I could throw out every dollar I have, and I'll have more tomorrow. It's virtually infinite. Time OTOH, is gone forever once it's gone. Every second I spend doing something I don't want to do comes off the ledger, never to be replaced. I'll take time over money every time  :^)

realzed

Very unusual to hear this type of philosophy at 50 years - most commonly it comes from those in their mid to late 60's or later in time spent on this Earth and have suddenly begun to realize as it winds down - just how valuable 'time' really and actually is...
You sound wise beyond your years!

LeeB

What really hurts is when you find your time no longer has a value to others.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

lxskllr

Quote from: lxskllr on June 18, 2019, 07:10:54 AM
Hopefully it'll perk up after break in.
I think I have to take back some of the bad things I said about the Poulan. The bar's still floppy like noodle, and the chain is still rubbish, but after working it fairly hard today, it's perked up. Noodled and ripped a bunch of ash limb tops, and took the stump down flush; ~30"+ at ground level. Idle has stabilized. It's running rich from the factory, and I left it like that for break in. I'll start leaning it out after a couple more tanks of fuel. Removed the spark arrestor, and when I get some time, I'll see if the muffler has any interesting possibilities, but it seemed fairly empty when I took the screen out.

I'm much happier with it today. It's no 362, but it'll do as my work saw, and once I get a decent 16" b&c on it, I think it'll be a nice little unit  :^)

btulloh

When's your 661 due to come in?  Shouldn't be too long to go from Va Beach to your neck of the woods.
HM126

lxskllr

They said end of the week, maybe Monday. Haven't heard anything, so I guess it's Monday. The way my luck goes, they probably forgot to order it  :^D

Air Lad

Solid choice Ixskllr 
I use a mates one sometimes when helping him out
He has 2 of them and they are awesome machines
Cheers

lxskllr

Well, the place I ordered from hasn't called me after a week, so I went up to PA to visit my new Amish friends, and bought the saw from them. $1,350 after taxes and everything. That included the 661, 36" bar, a gas can, and a 6pack of 5G mix bottles of oil to double the warranty. They didn't say I needed the big bottles, but I like Stihl oil, so might as well. He also gave me a Stihl hat. Had a choice of several styles.

I really like those guys. They take an interest in the saws, and seem to know what they're doing. He greased the seal on the air filter, and explained it helped prevent dust encroachment. I've read that, but the other dealer never said a thing. Also gave his preferred start procedure, explaining they tended to run better if you left it on fast idle for a few seconds before releasing it. He even Sharpie marked the 1G mark on the new 1.25G gas can I bought. All around, he took an interest in me buying a saw from him, rather than acting like I was intruding on his special time.

I'm super happy with AK Saw Shop, and it's well worth going out my way to patronize them. So glad @gspren recommended them to me  :^)

gspren

I'm really glad you like him, I sometimes hesitate to give recommendations but I've always liked that shop.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

btulloh

smiley_thumbsup on getting your new saw.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup on getting your new dealer.  

Now you just need some cool weather to go with that bigger saw.  :D
HM126

lxskllr

Cooler weather for sure. Can't wait til fall gets here. Now I need to pick out my big tree to fall. I've seen a few prospects from a distance, but I need to inspect them up close to make sure they aren't too squirrely.

lil171

Glad that you got your saw, but pictures are also nice.... ;D

lxskllr

I've only taken one picture. Here it is with an echo 2511t and an apple for scale  :^P

btulloh

"Does this apple make my saw look fat?"
HM126

gspren

Since your so happy with my recommendation maybe you could come up here and demonstrate that new saw! I've got at least one good size oak blew down about 2 weeks ago plus some standing dead that needs to fall over.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lil171

Now that's a saw! Thanks for the picture.

lxskllr

Quote from: gspren on June 25, 2019, 10:42:08 PM
Since your so happy with my recommendation maybe you could come up here and demonstrate that new saw! I've got at least one good size oak blew down about 2 weeks ago plus some standing dead that needs to fall over.
I can do that. I *much* prefer working in cool/cold weather, but if you really want something done, I'm used to being outside. With my vast experience of 15 months, I've had 100% success rate falling trees where I want, but my stumps are an embarrassment. I can probably get stuff done. Genuine offer. Shoot me a pm if you want some help  :^)

Thank You Sponsors!