iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screw Inserts Stripped in 372XP Housing

Started by tim1234, October 19, 2021, 06:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

Hi all, been away for a long while.

Bought a Granberg Chainsaw mill a few years back to mill a Black Walnut.  Just now getting to the last few logs.

I picked up a Husky 372XP to do the milling (got a great deal on a new saw).  I was so excited to get milling I just went at it.  After I got done with the first large log I noticed the top cover was vibrating.  Turns out the screws that hold the top cover to the housing had vibrated loose and stripped at least 1 of the inserts in the housing.  They must not have been tight from the factory and I did not check them before I started milling  :-\.  I bought new screws, but that did not fix it so I know at least 1 of the metal screw inserts in the lower housing are stripped.

I tried wrapping some Teflon tape around the screw to see if it would hold but that did not work.  In my woodworking world a few toothpicks and some yellow glue stuffed into the hole would work  ;D.  Any suggestions short of buying a new lower housing?  2 of the 3 screws are holding for now.

Thanks

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

axeman2021

Have you contacted the dealer who sold you the Husky?

If they can't get it fixed for you contact an Auto Machine Shop or any good machine shop, and have them install a 
 Heli-Coil Thread Insert 
in the damaged bolt hole.

tim1234

It was like 3 years ago and I bought it online.  But that is a good idea, there are a few dealers near me, I will ask them if they have any ideas.  

axeman2021

Quote from: tim1234 on October 19, 2021, 08:13:22 PM
It was like 3 years ago and I bought it online.  But that is a good idea, there are a few dealers near me, I will ask them if they have any ideas.  
I have used Heli Coils many times and they do a great job, the whole repair should not be over $50 dollars i am just making a guess at the cost.

tim1234

Quote from: axeman2021 on October 19, 2021, 08:16:37 PM
It was like 3 years ago and I bought it online.  But that is a good idea, there are a few dealers near me, I will ask them if they have any ideas.  
I have used Heli Coils many times and they do a great job, the whole repair should not be over $50 dollars i am just making a guess at the cost.
I think I've heard of those.  Are they like coils that you screw into the threads to give a better bite?

lxskllr

Quote from: tim1234 on October 19, 2021, 06:52:43 PMIn my woodworking world a few toothpicks and some yellow glue stuffed into the hole would work

You could try copper wool(Chore Boy) and locktite.

axeman2021

Quote from: tim1234 on October 19, 2021, 08:23:22 PM
Quote from: axeman2021 on October 19, 2021, 08:16:37 PM
I think I've heard of those.  Are they like coils that you screw into the threads to give a better bite?
Here is a video to help you understand how they install the heli coils.
HeliCoil : HeliCoil Installation HeliCoil Insert - YouTube

tim1234

I'll try some copper wool first, then if that does not work see if there is enough meat in the insert to drill it out and tap the hole for the size needed for the heli coil. 

Good suggestions.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

axeman2021

Quote from: tim1234 on October 19, 2021, 08:43:11 PM
I'll try some copper wool first, then if that does not work see if there is enough meat in the insert to drill it out and tap the hole for the size needed for the heli coil.

Good suggestions.

Thanks for the quick feedback.
Good Luck getting it fixed.

Sprinter

I recently got a 272XP that had a 10-32 screw forced into hold the cover. Maybe lost, I can't say. 
At any rate it was botched up. Hole was wallowed out and had to fill the mess with jb weld to give it some meat to hold thread.
To keep the hole center I pulled a little twig from maple tree to give a soft spot for the drill bit to follow.
Got a heli-coil kit off of Amazon and replaced screw wit 5mmx.8 screw. 
It's worked all summer, so far. 
Plus I've had a couple of other heli-coil projects.

Tacotodd

Call Madsens and get their thread repair stuff. It's ultimately going to be much stronger and easier to use than Helicoils, and I've sold tons of Helicoils and Helicoil kits. I just not a fan of them, but at my 30 years on the automotive parts counter it was all that was available for me to sell. Madsens are called Time Serts. Much stronger and easier. Priced accordingly but worth it.
Trying harder everyday.

sablatnic

I am with TacoTodd, Time Serts are better in this soft stuff than HeliCoils are.
I too have used both.

kantuckid

I'm with the suggestion for a threaded insert. Heli-coils are but one brand and type of thread repair insert as are Time Serts. There's a whole bunch of choices designed for various materials and not all are the same brand top solve any one problem.
  Search the web for plastic thread repair inserts and then pay close attention to the parameters of the actual saw parts vs. specs for the insert. I have used several brands in both metal and plastic depending on the material, depth and surrounding senario of the threaded space, etc.. Ebay sellers can be a great source as they know that some inserts are pricey when bought in small quantities and they tend to sell bags of 5, etc.. 
Another possible would be an epoxy repair that was re-threaded or formed using a release material on the original screw. 
Time serts, thin serts lots of choices...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

tim1234

Thanks for all the feedback.  I will look into the Madsens inserts as well.  Looks like light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train  ;D

Real1shepherd

I've been down this road for a long time. Heli coils are more temporary and cheap for the application. Time serts are the very best, but the most expensive, requiring that you buy their specialized tools.

EZ Lok are my personal favorite. They can come with metric inside and US outside thread(to make it easier with your present tool cache) or straight metric/metric. They also come regular and thin-wall. You don't need their special tools as you can fashion a screwdriver to put the inserts in.

I find I use their thin-walls more than anything else.....especially if you don't have a lot of 'meat' to work with. Put them in with LocTite. They come with some dry LocTite on the threads, but I'm not trusting of that so I strip it off and use my own.

Never, ever had an EZ Lok fail....sure had Heli coils gall and fail. In magnesium, a steel insert is stronger than the original tapped hole and should not detract from the value of the saw if done correctly. 

Kevin

axeman2021

Real1shepherd

I forgot they had that whole line for wood.....and now plastics. Good stuff. Their thin-wall inserts have saved my butt more than I can remember in saws.

Kevin

tim1234

I've got lots of options now.  Thank you for all the feedback.  I'll take a look and see which way I go starting with the least invasive (i.e. not having to drill).

I'm just glad there is a fix without buying a new housing  ;D

Real1shepherd

If you're hesitant to drill....you can get a 'T' holder for your drill bit and do it by hand. Magnesium and aluminum are soft and easy to work with. In fact, I'd recommend to do this by hand the first few times.

The 'T' handle will let your drill bit follow the old hole, whereas with a power drill, things happen really fast and aren't correctable.

Kevin

Tom King

If I can drill, and tap the next larger size, I'll choose that over Helicoils.  Helicoils require a larger hole than drilling for the next size threaded hole.

kantuckid

The "fix" is dependent more so on how much material surrounds the damaged area than the fact that there are inserts designed for use in plastic (which there are as you've learned) so I hope your lucky to have some playroom around the damage. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!