iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade guides

Started by MSSawmill, April 19, 2013, 11:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

We're thinking seriously about building roller guides with 3 bearings: one on top of the blade, one on bottom of the blade, and one behind the blade. Obviously, all will have to be adjustable in all directions/planes. Any thoughts/examples?

Is there another thread out here that already has this information and I just haven't found it?

(This is a spin-off thread from the discussion over here)
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

dboyt

You are looking to use three rollers for a task that could easily be handled by one roller with a shoulder.  I had a TimberHarvester that used a pair of single rollers that pushed down on the blade about 1/8".  The system worked very well and, when properly adjusted, the blade seldom contacted the back shoulder on the roller, even while cutting.  You will need to have adjustment for the angle of the blade so that it doesn't dip or climb out of the cut, and a vertical adjustment so that it pushes down on the blade by the correct amount.  I really like the ceramic guides on the Norwood mill.  Much more compact, easy to adjust, and no bearings, though the ceramics need to be replaced occasionally.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ladylake

I'd just buy some from Cook's, nothing under the blade is needed.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ga Mtn Man

From what I can see, the one's you have should work fine.  You just need to re-work them so the tilt  can be adjusted up-down, left-right and be able to adjust the overall roller height up-down.  Remove the ones you have under the blade...they're not needed.  Of course, the easy way to go would be to buy the complete assembly from Cook's and be done with it.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

roghair

The best would be to buy some from Cook's as said, but here some pictures from my selfmade guides that work fine. You don't need bearings on the bottom of the blade, that will also limit you with the minimum thickness of the last board!!
I drilled the holes in the hookangle a bit bigger than the bolts so I can adjust the tilt to make the blade parallel to the bed (bunks). The little plate of steel on the long bolt is to prevent sawing the backstops. It travels with the saw, but is just a bit lower than the blade. It saved me several times already.

built a sawmill

MSSawmill

Thanks, guys! Good to know. And thanks roghair for the pics.
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

bandmiller2

MS,something you should consider your bottom bearing will limit how close you can come to the bunks the log is sitting on.Ideally you want to cut down to a 1" board.A roller under the band is not needed,really nothing under the band does much good.If you must have something a simple thin pad will work.My homebuilt bandmill ran for years with two back to back sealed bearings on top and a horizontal bearing behind worked well but I converted to Cooks flanged guide mobetter.Try it, but build your guide support to take a standard guide so later you can go flange. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!