iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did Ed's 372 exhaust port trick

Started by mmartone, November 17, 2013, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmartone

Did Ed's exhaust port trick with the husky parts, heres how it came out. Cleaned up the muffler and painted it with some 1200 deg exhaust paint I had. I fired it up, its not real loud, still have to adj the high side of the carb. Pulled the covers off and removed the little cam from the sleeve on the mixture adj on the high side. Do you guys like to adjust them with the bars on or off? I ordered a 54" Panthermill last night, guy said they are a few weeks out, guess it will be a surprise when it shows up. CAnt wait to get a ripping chain on this and try it all out. 8)

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ehp

I adjust my carb with the bar on , the longer the bar the lower your top rpm should be and if your going to mill with it set the high even richer , the longer a motor runs during a cut the more heat is produced so the motor runs leaner and you cannot set the motor until you have it plenty warmed up , if milling set it rich , you can always lean it back out a touch if you have to but if your to lean to start with you run the risk of hurting the engine

nmurph

What Ed said...I will add, I don't know diddly about the mill (or milling in general) you ordered, but I would guess a 372 would be maxed on a mill at about 24".

FWPT

Pretty new here and never heard of "ED's exhaust port trick" but what you did was a common muff mod.  Just did the same on my 372xp xt. And while in there I opened up the stock opening and gently forced the stock shroud to open much more than original specs.  Then retuned the carb and let me say it rips now!!!! Sounds much louder and it is a bit more thirsty too! Feels like almost double the power over stock having burried the 24" bar in some kind of red maple!!!!  ;D
Husky 42 special ported(screamer)
husky 372xp xt muff modded

mmartone

Just the first one I had see on here with the factory pieces over the hole in the muffler. What else did you open up, the port on the cylinder? Stock shroud? pics? Well you may be right about the saw not having enough power ripping, time will tell. I am looking for a much larger saw, one just hasnt come along yet.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

FWPT

I removed the spark screen, carefully bent the deflector more open, and with a small carbide bit ground the hole to 3x its original size. re installed the screen.  Then added another hole like you did and added a 288xp deflector. I'll try to add pics in a couple days. 

Ed

Glad it worked out for you Mark.  8)

The OE parts make for a clean install, looks like they built it that way.

Ed

FWPT

I agree ED!!  Many use a piece of 3/4" pipe and it kind of reminds me of a Honda with a cantaloupe launcher muffler and this style reminds me of an old muscle car with dual exhaust. I like the "stock" look!

Thank You Sponsors!