iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mead Merges With Westvaco

Started by Ron Scott, August 30, 2001, 07:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

This merger of Mead and Westvaco pulp & paper companies has been announced. The company will be called Mead-Westvaco Corporation with headquarters in Stamford, CT. The new company will be valued in excess of $10 billion with a work force of over 32,000. Review of operations will occur over the next 12 months.
~Ron

Forester Frank

I see this as a good fit for both companies that were vulnerable to takeover. Merging makes each stronger and a less likely target for the IP's G-P's,LP's, Sappi's and any other P's of the world.

I always think of Westvaco as a southern, but Ron W. would probably know them as an eastern U.S. operation.

MEAD Paper and other pine users from Wisconsin are expanding their procurment territories into lower Michigan, which is one reason for the increasing jack and red pine market.

Another topic for discussion is the evolving market for jack pine, but I'll let you start it Ron. Godd to see you at SAF.
Forester Frank

Forester Frank

Ignore the typo.  :-/  Good to see you!
Forester Frank

Ron Scott

A good SAF meeting. I found out that jack pine is the fastest growing pine next to loblolly. Those  large jack pine clear cuts will nest more endangered Kirtlands warblers. The Forest Service clear cuts are now recommended to 500 acres for KW essential habitat. Increased from the previous 370 acre size.

~Ron

swampwhiteoak

It's nice to see ESA work the other way for once.  Funny, I bet the enviro groups don't lobby for larger clearcuts in Michigan.  Strange how that works.  ::)

Tom

That's got to have some Preservationists eyes rolling.......Clearcuts are beneficial?.....and a double whammy....beneficial to an endangered species?

What in the world are they going to do now?

There next step will be to declare the  Kirtlands Warbler a menace to some rare species of snow-burrowing grasshopper whose existance is required for the regeneration of forests especially Jack Pine.

CHARLIE

Hey! Careful there!  Don't you dare do anything that will disturb the rare Snow-burrowing Grasshoppers. They are the only food source for the even rarer Snow Snake here in Minnesota.  :D :D :D :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Scott

Every now and then a new environmental group gets on the size of the jack pine clear cuts for the endangered Kirtlands Warbler, but then they get crosswise with the ESA and the KW Recovery Team and go away after being educated to the habitat need.

The reason for the clearcuts are for an endangered species and not timber so they are ok with that.

~Ron

Tom

Whew !!  Had me worried there for a moment. :)

BCCrouch

Hmmm....doesn't sound like a prime time to apply for a position with either one.  That's a pity.   :(   My current nursery job has gotten more than a little long-in-the-tooth.   ???
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Thank You Sponsors!