iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

exporting logs from canada to the us and transport from state to state

Started by charles mann, April 17, 2020, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

so as to not highjack the other exotic wood thread. does anyone have experience with exporting raw logs from canada, into the us? massive amounts paperwork and treatment prior to bringing across the border?

what about across state lines in the us? i know there are agg checkpoints in cali, utah and florida. mostly i guess looking for fruits bc that is all i get asked about. but that was while traveling in a company rig, pulling an equipment or svc trailer, chasing the acft. figure my private truck and trailer, plus the weight class, i would have to stop since id be over 26,001 gcvw.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

sawguy21

Interesting question. I know logs travel both ways across the border but you really need to check with a customs broker.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dustintheblood

There are stringent regulations against softwood exports from Ontario. Hardwood is okay.  
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Quote from: dustintheblood on April 17, 2020, 09:22:57 PM
There are stringent regulations against softwood exports from Ontario. Hardwood is okay.  
To clarify, softwood logs - not lumber
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

charles mann

Quote from: dustintheblood on April 17, 2020, 09:23:43 PM
Quote from: dustintheblood on April 17, 2020, 09:22:57 PM
To clarify, softwood logs - not lumber
I knew whatcha meant. 
It'd be west coast for me. I'll check with a customs broker as advised and see bout how much of a pain vs. the reward it would be, including cost getting them off vancouver island. 
Iv tried looking online for info for interstate commerce in the us. But google and me dont get along. 
Temple, Tx

donbj

FLNRO might be your best first contact for information. There is a sort yard in my area that sells a lot down south. It is all cut to length and if I remember correctly it is wood that has been offered and not wanted here in BC. I'm not totally sure on that detail but I heard it needs to be offered here first "somehow".
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

charles mann

Quote from: donbj on April 17, 2020, 11:22:31 PM
As mentioned regarding the offering for sale here first, here is a relevant article.
https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/business/b-c-government-extends-coastal-log-export-rules-for-six-months/

https://www.woodbusiness.ca/bc-announces-new-fee-in-lieu-of-manufacturing-for-exported-logs/
thank ya sir for the info.
 on the drive from port alberni to nanaimo, going through a section of the forest, there were trees in 48-60" range blown over by the wind storm about a month to month n half ago, some were cleared to open the road up, the rest were just left where they fell.there are some still standing, that might actually make my grunt on the width (72"+), that'd love to get ahold of. 
i was talking to the hotel owner in port, and he said further west is native lands and they are eager to sell their timber.  
Temple, Tx

donbj

If it's crown land they are on good luck getting a timber mark or license to cut, though there are provisions for small salvage and permits to cut up to 50m3 through FLNRO. The Native land may have other options for marketing, sometimes they have different operating guidelines in things.

Skeans1

Quote from: charles mann on April 17, 2020, 11:34:31 PM
As mentioned regarding the offering for sale here first, here is a relevant article.
https://www.columbiavalleypioneer.com/business/b-c-government-extends-coastal-log-export-rules-for-six-months/

https://www.woodbusiness.ca/bc-announces-new-fee-in-lieu-of-manufacturing-for-exported-logs/
on the drive from port alberni to nanaimo, going through a section of the forest, there were trees in 48-60" range blown over by the wind storm about a month to month n half ago, some were cleared to open the road up, the rest were just left where they fell.there are some still standing, that might actually make my grunt on the width (72"+), that'd love to get ahold of.
i was talking to the hotel owner in port, and he said further west is native lands and they are eager to sell their timber.  
What are you looking for? Doug Fir? What sort of lengths?

charles mann

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 17, 2020, 11:46:34 PM
Quote from: charles mann on April 17, 2020, 11:34:31 PM

What are you looking for? Doug Fir? What sort of lengths?
for some reason my reply to donna didn't post. it is doug, western red and spruce. something in the 12' lengths is what the customer wants. the home is in the planning stage, so he isn't in a rush, which is a good thing, bc i don't have my mill finished yet, maybe 60-75%, if i don't paint it. 
I'm thinking railhead would be cheaper per ton than trucking it myself with my pov, 17,000 lbs at a time. which, for 72"+ wide logs, wouldn't be less than a 1/4 or the tree. problem is, he isn't wanting a lot, estimating, he is thinking 7-10 12' logs per species. between cabinets and wall paneling for the rooms, the 7-10 would do it. i told him to 10-15 per, just in case something happens during drying or run into a bad tree here and there. 
depending on what fire season entail this summer and how many acft the company wants to have online for next yr, and if i get my own ship, I'm hopping to back up here this fall/winter, and start procuring the timber for cutting the following spring. 
Temple, Tx

quilbilly

If you're cutting it into cabinetry why does he/you need such big wood? Or are you simply trying to get some old growth
a man is strongest on his knees

charles mann

Quote from: quilbilly on April 18, 2020, 11:30:06 AM
If you're cutting it into cabinetry why does he/you need such big wood? Or are you simply trying to get some old growth
most of it is for wall paneling. and yes, he wants old growth, thinking the slower growth rate might yield a better visual look to it and 1 wide slab could yield 2-3 cabinet doors per slab width. the man asked if its possible, so I'm asking myself. he is paying the bills, so I'm not gonna question his reason, since it doesn't seem unreasonable. even if it isn't from canada, which would be better due to the export/import issues, he still wants those 3 species of wood. plus a former coworker wants cypress for flooring, and in exchange, he will allow to thin some of the trees on his property that he claims as old growth, which i don't know how old would be considered old growth, but he claims the bigger trees are 150 yr old. is that old growth?
Temple, Tx

Skeans1

Old growth is anything that hasn't been cut before most everything you see minus the Islands will be second growth, old growth Doug fir has another name such as yellow fir the wood itself will be a yellow.

This is a second growth really tight grain with a slight yellow tint like old growth as well as having the old growth style bark that has a different then younger wood.

Thank You Sponsors!