Sponsors:

A new chapter for me in the U.P.

Started by Jeff, October 28, 2013, 09:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Well done, pard.   smiley_clapping
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

terrifictimbersllc

Very jealous >:( >:( >:(  Congratulations to you.   8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

Well now, don't that beat all? Moved onto higher ground. A lot of that iron reminds me of 4 generations of it in the back yard. :D That old Lou must'a took a liken to ya. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

Way to go Jeff,  8) .Don't junk that iron,there's $ in them lawn ornaments.
Didn't they use that axle to convert the t to a doodle bug tractor?Don't travel to far out back,may run into a caribu  ;D .
Ed K

beenthere

Glad to hear it Jeff.  8)

Curious, what will the landowner use your old property for? i.e. why did he want it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Scott

Looks like a good land exchange for your benefit.
~Ron

Peter Drouin

It don;t get easier than that, good luck on the new land.
Does Lou have plans for the old land ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Lou didn't get the land, Lou got the cash. Mark got the land. ;)    Mark has almost all hardwood. Very little cedar. With this twenty, Mark now has a couple hundred acres total now. Marks property, which is only across the road, is totally different. Yellow sand, lots of rocks. you cross the road, and its peet and other hydric soils.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

two-legged-sawmill

Congratulations,Kinda' like winning the Lottery! A young man like you should enjoy it for years. If that old iron could talk, what story's we would hear. May GOD bless your under-takings.  Dan sr
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

sandhills

Had to look at your pictures again and the way you stated it about mother nature absorbing the old iron, I think the trees are getting their revenge on the old mowers, I'd love to have one like those.  I'd probably just end up having to fix it and use it though  ;D.

JohnM

Quote from: Jeff on October 29, 2013, 03:36:24 PM
We have coyotes, we have wolves, we have cougars, we have anything that will eat a deer fawn. We also have Canadians. :)
I'm guessing it's open season on the yotes and closed to the wolves and cats but how does it work for the Canucks?  Lottery?  ??? ;) :) ;D :D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jeff

There is a wolf season this year, but they aint going to kill near enough of them. it runs concurrent with firearms deer season. $100 license, and you call each night to see if the quota was met or if the hunt is still on.

SwampDonkey

Where is that Island up there that they put moose and wolves onto?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Just read about the dwindling wolf population on Isle Royale, and the Nat'l Park Service hasn't announced (or decided yet) what to do... add more wolves or not, to bolster the dwindling number.
Ongoing since 1958 said to be the longest-running predator-prey relationship in the world.   Currently only 8 wolves said to be there.   source Wisconsin Outdoor News. Nov. 1, 2013
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

samandothers

Very nice!  Gotta love being able to get out and walk around and enjoy nature!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on October 31, 2013, 08:15:20 PM
Just read about the dwindling wolf population on Isle Royale...
Ongoing since 1958 said to be the longest-running predator-prey relationship in the world.   

I wonder what they mean. Man introduced study maybe.

Because otherwise it wouldn't be too factual. I guess they wouldn't have heard about Wood Buffalo National Park with the wolves and buffulo. That's a vast area in the north (Alberta and NWT), above the prairies. Now being looked at for a hydro electric dam project.

Link to documentary: http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nt/woodbuffalo/ne/TV.aspx

ReggieT

Quote from: Jeff on October 28, 2013, 09:48:27 PM
I just typed out a very long post, then lost it while trying to add the photos. Well, here are the photos. Story to come.  :D

The gist of it is, I made a property swap and now have new land in the U.P. my next door neighbor to my west got my property, I got some of Lou's property, and Lou get's my neighbor's money. :)  So, a new chapter, new dreams, and hopefully a few of them will some day come true.  The land had mature hardwoods, large white pine, hemlock and yellow birch and enough maple to probably tap trees if I ever wanted too. it still has plenty of wild cedar land and boreal type forest in the back and is backed by thousands of acres of wildland. There is stories of buried loot that go along with the property and its old now gone homestead. And best of all? PUDDING STONES! :D

Only have a few pictures of the road frontage and a few pictures of some old iron on the property mother nature is trying to absorb.  Any idea what the axle might be out of?

GLORIOUS!  8)

Jeff

Up here getting ready for deer season and prepairinf for the property swap. We no longer have asny Verizon coverage at the cabin so I have to come 8 miles in to detour just to use the phone. Just like the good old days, but it was a pay phone back then. :)  Had this on the trail cam last night.

loggah

looking good!!! your freezer needs that deer! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on November 11, 2013, 04:47:16 PMWe no longer have asny Verizon coverage at the cabin
I had to install a Wilson Cell Booster at our Cabin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I had to install a cell booster in my house, but it required an Internet connection. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on November 11, 2013, 08:37:58 PM
Looks like a ghost or a haint.

Remind me to never play scrabble with you, Danny.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!