iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood measure

Started by Logger003, June 17, 2015, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logger003

Here's a first for me? When I cut wood for someone I have always paid for it after I had it in a pile. I had my first request to give the owner an estimate standing and pay half before I start and the rest after it's in the pile. I have never made a serious estimate before logging and don't really know how to do one. It's about 25 acres of burnt timber some just root burnt and most is black. It ranges from 6 inch to 18 inch all pine. How do you estimate this?

Ron Wenrich

You need a cruise.  It doesn't have to be a 100% cruise where every tree is tallied.  You can do a point sample cruise.  I have written up a procedure found in the Extras page in the Knowledge Base under Forestry on how to do a point sample cruise:

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359123-3833.txt
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359141-3837.txt
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/tips/tips.cgi?display:1010359154-3844.txt

I have used these in the past, and my cruise tends to be pretty accurate.  If you have a stand that doesn't have a lot of diversity in size or stocking, you can come up with a good estimate.  If it is varied, then you have to break it down into compartments.  That isn't all that tough.  I generally map as I go and identify compartment changes on the map.  Then convert that to an area, and identify each plot.  It all sounds complicated, but it's not.

If everything is basically the same throughout the stand, you could take a bunch of random plots.  I would use no less than 10, which would be a 4% cruise.  Scatter them throughout the stand and try not to put in any bias.  You'll come up with an estimate of volume that should be satisfactory to both sides.  The owner will have some jingle in his pocket to help insure that you are going to carry out the job.  You will have a new learned skill, and some prepaid timber.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Logger003

Thanks for the info the owner and I are getting together this weekend to check it out with this info we should be able to come up with a fair estimate.

gimpy

When you finish with the owner, please report back with what happened and how it came out if you wouldn't mind.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Logger003

We had a good look at it this afternoon. We figure there's about 15000 BF of lumber and about 200 cords firewood. Going to pay him $35.00 a cord for the fire wood and he wants me to log and saw the lumber for his own use. His only stipulation was not log it till winter because the forest floor is sand and hilly, he's worried about erosion he's hopeing that the grass will be back before winter to hold the ground together and I can respect that.

gimpy

Thanks for the update. Another job on the books.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Logger003

Yeah it's good to have a job lined up for part of the winter still need some more to keep me busy between now and then it's a little slow around here right now

Thank You Sponsors!