iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the weather 2020

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2020, 08:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

51cub

I'm pretty much a repeat of you guys. Wind and rain most of the night. Didn't lose power this time. It's all stopped now but still cloudy and 42. That looks like the plan of the day
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

51cub

31 now and mostly cloudy. The mostly cloudy looks like it's going to be all day, high in the upper 30s and real low 40s. Teens tonight, mostly sunny tomorrow but only getting into the mid and upper 20s
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

SwampDonkey

Temperature hasn't budged here, around 33F and a north wind. Cut a load of firewood and it was throwing some snow off the mountain at me. :D Short lived, but a warning to ya.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old Greenhorn

Well we are fully into a cooling trend with lows in the low 30's and highs in the mid to low 40's, the sky coverage is averaging out to 50-60% which is the only thing I don't care for. Wish the sun would come out for a change. The forecast is for more of the same maybe making it into the 50's over the coming weekend. Hoping to get a cold clear day to enjoy working outside for a bit. Still have some winter cleanup work to do and swapping an storing equipment.
 I dislike the dreary weather.
 On the heating front I have had to move up to burning better wood in the shop overnight and keep the stove hopping through the day to get the temp up and hold it there. Last night I re-started the house stove, I think this is until the spring now, which is right about on time (the middle of November is the average for us). The house wood should do fine, but I am not sure about the shop wood lasting.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Lots of wood here all seasoned, but doesn't take much wood this early into winter because it is not yet winter cold here. Tomorrow the 'new wood' pile should be 4 cords, hope to cut 2 loads. Easy chance cleaning up big popple that are leaning a little hard. I've been cutting this wood within 20 feet of the road. Wood....wood...no end to the wood within site of the road. ;D :D

And that pile is 7' high at the highest.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

A-z farmer

Well the northern cold and wind are here again it is 22 degrees now and going to the teens tonight .I do not mind the cold but that northern wind always has a way of taking the joy of being outside .But it always could be worse I remember when it was near zero on this date in years past .

thecfarm

I have 22° here too. Have not been this cold for about 2 weeks. But Saturday in the 50's. But only one day that high for temps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

50 here, high of 71 but 18 mph wind expected.  still a season change for us.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

It was 24 degrees at 6 AM .I'm not ready for this .I do hate cold weather with a passion .Florida or Arizona is looking better all the time .

SwampDonkey

Yep, 21F here to. You're right about the wind, but more so here at the house. Up in the woods in the sun, is like sitting in a window like a Tom cat. :D Got a load of wood in, going for another after dinner to make the 4 cords. 4 more cord after that to gather up. ;D

Al_Smith

I have between 5 and 6 cords, split, stacked and tarped down .I usual do about 1 cord a month more or less from late November to mid March .So maybe 4.5 cords in a normal winter .The last several it's only been about half that, too warm .Two old folks sitting around in their underwear with a door opened . :o

SwampDonkey

This is next year's wood supply. I've got ~9 and 1/3 cord out of 10 stored away and dry for this winter. :)

Right now it's 85F in here, but I had just came in from cutting wood and didn't realize how warm it was on the main floor until after the wood was fed into the stove. Oh well, I like wood heat so I won't suffer too much. :D Got the air exchanger wide open though. ;D

doc henderson

@Al_Smith do the neighbors complain?...   :)   that conjures quite a visual!   :o :o :o :o :o :o   :snowball:   8)   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I live 600 feet off the road surrounded by 100 foot oak trees. Nobody can see that far although Georgia is pretty chesty that you can't miss . 8) 

Al_Smith

Having said that with frivolity I think it's about time to fill the wood box because it won't be long .I'm so looking forward to it---not .

doc henderson

there you go, another visual!  good for you!  sounds like you can see it    :o  good for you! 8) 8) 8) :D :D

Old Greenhorn

Bit of a cold snap the last couple of nights and I got some of that sun I asked for. :D It hit 19° for most last night and was around 53 in the shop this morning. Now that it is getting cold I can begin to figure out how this shop heating thing is going to track for the winter and wish I had a slightly bigger stove. Mine is hard to get an overnight fire that runs hot enough to maintain temps. On the other hand I would need a lot more more. Already concerned how far my 5 cord for the shop will go. It is taking a good part of the day to get the shop up to 68 or so, but it does come up from the mid 50's to the mid 60's pretty fast, so that makes a good working temp, I just like it warmer when I am doing finishes. SO it looks like when we hit the steady cold I will have to do finishes in the late afternoon or evening and pick my days a little bit. I am still burning junk during the day and good stuff at night. Already getting tired of feeding two stoves all the time (house and shop), but I just have to get in a routine. The house stove is easy, but I have to go out to the shop as late as possible each night and stuff the stove and adjust it. Usually that is around 9-10pm and I know that after I have settled in, that won't be fun on a 5 degree night.
 It's winter, might as well get used to it and fall into a groove. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Down in the teens here this morning. Could feel a little frost tingling in my fingers and toes when I start at another load of firewood. Soon overcame that when the steam kicked in. ;D

Warm front moving in here now, but that SW wind is still cold. ;D

One of the neighbors drove bye, asked what I've been up to. Said removing the wood pecker hotels along the road. :D I cut one spruce that was still alive, riddled with holes and pitch running down the trunk. Hollow for half the trunk. Chunked it all up in 3-4' lengths to move, was like throwing dry cedar into the brush. It had fallen into the road, was no way to make it fall in the spot I wanted without a stump lever. I don't carry one, so let her fall where she may, can't fight gravity. Lots of my firewood lands in the road. Arthur's fault, not mine. :D

Snowing right now in Masardis, Maine on the mountains along route 11. View from the crow's nest. ;D

thecfarm

Good place for the snow!!
I have 30° now. I don't think it got above freezing today.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

a little windy yesterday.  my neighbor Jimmy called and asked if I heard the tree fall down.  I was waiting for a punch line.  but no.  

now it is in my yard to limb, and make something out of.  a little ant ridden barber chair.  took less than 10 minutes with the 261, and the grapple bucket.

51cub

I don't think it ever did get above 25 yesterday. Same this morning but got warmer into the afternoon. 37 now, and shouldn't get too much cooler overnight. 50 to 55 tomorrow

SwampDonkey

I think it got to 25F here before dark, but suppose to get warmer in the night. Not going to last, going cold Saturday again.

SwampDonkey

Low 40's this morning, clear as a bell. About to gather a couple loads of firewood, that will make 5 cord so far.

Have a good one. ;D

doc henderson

light rain in the 40s today, had been sunny windy, but in the 60 to 70s.  in case anyone was wondering, here is a 1/16th inch thick scrap of maple i left outside.  it dried flat, but with water on the top side, it expanded into a tunnel.

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!