Lucas Mill 10-30 loading onto pickup truck

Started by RussMaGuss, July 04, 2020, 09:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussMaGuss

Hey all, after a ton of research I'm pulling the trigger on a 10-30! My only concern really, is loading it onto my pickup. I read in another couple threads that some people just use a trailer lower to the ground and someone even used the rails as a ramp! The trailer option probably works well because for location milling, I'd need the space to load boards onto anyways if there's too many for the bed/rack. 

I'm considering clamping a piece of tube steel cantilevered off the back of the rack and then using a come-along or winch to lift/load the power head up and on. 

Has anybody recently discovered any new ways of loading it by yourself? 

One other question I have is about sharpening-- How often do you guys sharpen your blades? I figure it's probably best to touch them up before they start to wear too much. Would every 500-1000 bdft be a reasonable increment? 

FAlvarez

I've got an old Model 8, powerhead is marked as weighing 300 kg (about 660 pounds, I guess). I don't know how the weight compares with the Model 10. I use two 9 foot long 2x6s with tailgate-brackets on the ends for ramps. I can load the mill myself with a little running start to get it up the ramps. I marked the tailgate with paint so I know right where to place the ramps (don't want the mill to go off the ramps on the way up).

When I first got the mill I hung a snatch-block from the top-rack right behind the cab, and ran a rope through this, attached to the mill, and ran the rope under the mill carriage - then I could pull the rope while pushing the mill which made it a lot easier, but now I don't bother with this. But I expect this would work well if the Model 10 is heavier. You should have no problem loading it this way. I can take pics if needed.

Dakota

someone even used the rails as a ramp!

Please don't do that.  That big Lucas is heavy and could bend your rails.
Dave Rinker

DR_Buck

Quote from: Dakota on August 13, 2020, 08:11:47 AM
someone even used the rails as a ramp!

Please don't do that.  That big Lucas is heavy and could bend your rails.
I have the Lucas DSM and bought it from Bailey's at the Paul Bunyan show.   The real Lucas guys were there and gave me my training and they loaded it on my truck using the rails for ramps and recommended that as the normal way to load it.     That said, it's the only time it has been loaded that way as I have a trailer with a ramp door and the floor is only 12 inches off the ground.     The biggest issue is with carrying the ramps.   They are 20 feet long.    You'll need a set of ladder racks on your truck to hold them.      My trailer is enclosed and is tall so I can't put mine on ladder racks on the truck when the trailer is attached unless I slide them way forward and then strap them down.    When I get around to it, I plan on putting racks on the top or high up on the sides of my trailer.  

Here is a few photos of the Lucas guys loading my DSM.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Walnut Beast

DR_Buck

Quote from: Walnut Beast on August 13, 2020, 10:51:13 AM
Are you pretty happy with that slabber
Yep.    Easy enough to set up, use and tear down.    My only disappointment is I don't use it enough, but that's because I'm wrapped up remodeling our house right now.    Hope top be done with that before early spring. 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

RussMaGuss

I like that snatch block idea. Pulleys make the world go round. I read another person would lift the lighter end up on the tailgate, then crank the powerhead over so the heavy side was already up, then simply lift the other end and wheel it on. Trouble is, I have a 4x4 truck and chevy just keeps making the *DanG things higher and higher off the ground so I'm hesitant to try that way as well. Maybe if it's too heavy for me, I'll use a snatch block and then a hand crank winch. I imagine that would be no problem at all doing it that way

maple flats

I have a Peterson and it is designed to be able to be loaded by one person onto the bed of a truck. Maybe the Lucas can too.
For the Peterson you just attach the wheels that come with it and push it to the back of the truck with the power head at the far end you set the 2 small dolly wheels up onto the truck bed. Then you crank the engine to the high end and set the brake. Then It's quite easy to lift the low end and roll the whole carriage onto the truck bed.
That was when I had an ATS model, since then I've converted it to  WPF model, I've never loaded that onto a truck, but did similar to the ATS onto a lowboy trailer.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.