iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup truck skidder?

Started by Hiway40frank, April 28, 2016, 07:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

Quote from: coxy on April 29, 2016, 06:30:39 PM
Quote from: azmtnman on April 29, 2016, 10:30:12 AM

For lack of anything else, I skid with my '97 GMC. We harvested 1000 cu/ft last year with the largest being 36" dia x 16' long. Only casualty was one tire.
is the bark black from a fire
The one on the right is a Douglas fir. They have black bark without being burnt. But yes, these are fire-killed trees.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

jwilly3879

This used to be a pickup.

Puffergas

It still is. Pickup a log and go.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

azmtnman

Quote from: jwilly3879 on May 03, 2016, 12:21:26 PM
This used to be a pickup.

That is awesome!
Looks like something I'd be proud to own!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

jwilly3879

The guy that built it said the only problem was turning it around in the woods. It used to be a 1964 International 1 ton that had a headon with a snow plow, it slid off the blade and was squished against the concrete wall on the side of a bridge.

Straightgrain

Getting the leading ends of the legs off the ground and leaving enough slack in the rigging (for 90 degree turns) will help a lot.

How far do you have to skid?
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Hiway40frank

First skid starts at a 1/2 mile and might go up to a mile. I got backed up and am heading out to start working on the truck. Anyone no how to post pics using my mobile?

Hiway40frank

Alright here we go, put a chain on a tree hooked it to the bed and hit the gas. The thing was only sitting on some 2x4s and was mostly composted leaves and god knows what else. Should get the winch on tommarow and start on other things for her.

Hiway40frank

Ok so I need help, I got the doors off and my plan is to remove the cab and just re-weld a cage around the front bench seet. Im doing this because what I noticed while driving in in the woods without the doors is you can really feel where the truck is and I want to be able to see the front end. Also no glass and a solid roll cage with sheet metal is a lot safer. So I need help removing the cab, how do I do so and sell have steering, ignition and gas/brake? My idea was if I can not remove the cab I will just chop off as much as I can and weld a cage around whats left.

red

I would make sure all computer wires stay in tact. Also ground wires to cab. One bad connection could cause problems .   
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

North River Energy

Leave the cab, pull the rear glass and doors, and add bracing inside for FOPS. If you cut the top off, you're probably going to create more problems for yourself, and it's not like this is a long term tractor.
Definitely find a way to keep the water away from any computer stuff, and also the dash harness. (Maybe leave the windshield, and build a guard out of tube stock and expanded metal.)

Hiway40frank

I guess il see how it goes tommarow, I will mount the winch start moving trees and see if it would really be better without the cab. Also can I remove the front fenders? Seeing the wheels helps a lot and that was why I thought about removing the cab.

Bridgeboy

I too am thinking of a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford pick up for my woods. I will be looking this fall for a 4 wheel drive that still has life even though it will most likely come from the northern part of N Y and will have had its life run in the wintertime salt.  Anyone out there priced or purchased anything like this lately?  I would assume that a standard drive transmission would be best.  Trying to get an idea on price on a unit that will not pass state inspection, since it will be used for off road.

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

Hiway40frank

Quote from: Bridgeboy on May 06, 2016, 06:40:50 PM
I too am thinking of a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford pick up for my woods. I will be looking this fall for a 4 wheel drive that still has life even though it will most likely come from the northern part of N Y and will have had its life run in the wintertime salt.  Anyone out there priced or purchased anything like this lately?  I would assume that a standard drive transmission would be best.  Trying to get an idea on price on a unit that will not pass state inspection, since it will be used for off road.

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

I live in the adk and could find a dozen 4x4 trucks for under 500$ within a day. Like I said i got mine for 200$ and it was in a trade, no problems and have drove it a lot on my land the last year just getting up my driveway in the winter (im on a mountain top) and I drive a rear wheel sedan so it does not make it past the garage witch is 3/4 a mile from the house... At the end of the day tho if I were to spend money I could find an old ford 9n for 1-2k and that would be a lot better than a truck, not as powerfull but a smaller footprint. My goal is to harvest and by end of june I should have enough $$ to get a case trencher and make a mini skidder.

lopet

Sounds like a plan, but yes   leave the cab. With the cab go all the controls and gauges.  Seems too much work to me to convert that all. With taking all the glass out you have  most of the hazards eliminated and taking the doors and fenders off gives you better visibility.  And then just weld a red neck style cage over top of the cab.  ;D   
Are you talking about a electric ATV style winch ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Hiway40frank

Quote from: lopet on May 06, 2016, 09:41:59 PM
Sounds like a plan, but yes   leave the cab. With the cab go all the controls and gauges.  Seems too much work to me to convert that all. With taking all the glass out you have  most of the hazards eliminated and taking the doors and fenders off gives you better visibility.  And then just weld a red neck style cage over top of the cab.  ;D   
Are you talking about a electric ATV style winch ?
Yes its a 4,500 lb that came with the truck. Do you thinks thats enough? If not An upgrade would not be too much, but I have used the winnch to pull a 5k lb bobcat out of mud that was up above the rear tire and front axle.

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Hiway40frank

Finally got her in the woods, starting a small clear cut for an orchard about 3-4 acres when done. My guess is I pulled about 2.5 cords of firewood a 12 nice pine and hemlock mill logs. So far ive been at it for 1.5 days most of the work is clearing the brush and moving it to the burn pile.

Straightgrain

This might be obvious but here it is; & I don't see them in the pics...

weld a couple chain keepers (keys or hooks?) onto the back of the skidder; use the hooks for your point of attachment once the logs are at the truck.

This will keep the weight off the winch, and help prevent the cable from slipping under the lengths of cable already on the spool.

"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Hiway40frank

Quote from: Straightgrain on May 19, 2016, 04:44:30 PM

weld a couple chain keepers (keys or hooks?) onto the back of the skidder; use the hooks for your point of attachment once the logs are at the truck.

This will keep the weight off the winch, and help prevent the cable from slipping under the lengths of cable already on the spool.

Broke the cable 3 times so winch is a no go, but the chain works fine.

Straightgrain

Quote from: Hiway40frank on May 19, 2016, 07:03:59 PM
Quote from: Straightgrain on May 19, 2016, 04:44:30 PM

Broke the cable 3 times so winch is a no go, but the chain works fine.

Score,

Much-better than working in all those downed logs.

If you replace the cable, add a swivel on the working end.

Maybe add a 3/4" plywood box onto the frame to haul your equipment and snow chains on the back tires....

Hiway40frank

Yea I gotta find a new cable, but im only cutting 1 tree at a time then pulling it out. So if I had the winch I could cut 3-4 at a time. Also the skid is only 100ft right now

Thank You Sponsors!