iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What make/model skidders have locking differentials?

Started by 5akman, September 07, 2010, 01:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5akman

Looking for a skidder, cable or grapple with locking differentials. I thought I had a mid 80's JD 440C in my possession but it appears the seller has promised it to someone else. I will not be using it for actual skidding but launching my commercial fishing skiff in Alaska off a very steep beach with 1 1/2 minus gravel/marbles. Any other skidders with locking diffs to look at in the $10K-15K range?

Thanks
Lance
www.alldrinsalmon.com
1978 JD 440C

Gary_C

Take a look here.

http://www.forestryequipmentsales.com/categories/9/10.html

Those are going to be a long way from you. You may be able to find one in Washington, Oregon or BC.

Nice operation you have there but it also looks cold and wet. What do you get per pound for the salmon?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

5akman

Hi,
Thanks for the link. Other than the JD's, do any of the other makes of skidders have locking differentials?

Summers in AK are usually rather warm and sunny with temps in the 60-70's. This beats the 100+ temps at my home in northern CA. This summer however was wet. We got 3" of rain in July over about 25 rainy days! I couldn't wait to get home to dry out!

We sell at the local farmers market for 9.00/lb.

Lance
1978 JD 440C

Gary_C

I'm not sure if you can say that any particular model has or doesn't have the locking differentials. I think all the axles have the capability to have it but some may not be working or never had that option. Best to just find one and ask.

Newer ones have electric switches for locks and come with cautions about using too much, especially when turning and on hard surfaces. You can ruin a differential if you use the locks while turning a corner.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

5akman

I had noticed that all the 440 series had a differential locking pedal and was thinking that other makes/models might have the same. It looks like the TJ's (just the 230's) have a full locking rear and posi type front axle. This might work for me..............
1978 JD 440C

Corley5

C-4 and C-5 Treefarmers have the same arrangement as the TJs  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

oldseabee

5akman

The quest is over! I bought the 440C and it gets delivered early next week. I've got the winter to get the turbo rebuilt and find some tires/wheels.

Lance
1978 JD 440C

John Woodworth

Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Okrafarmer

John Deere is pretty big on their diff locks-- most of their farm tractors have had them since at least 1978, maybe '72. I've run quite a few of those bigger tractors (4240, 4440, 4250, 4450, etc.) in the mud. I've never known of their diff lock to fail, so as long as you don't run engaged on pavement, concrete, etc, or turn sharp under firm conditions you should be fine. Never once heard of the diff lock breaking on anyone's JD farm tractor.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Coon

I am pretty sure that all JD farm tractors have diff locks..... atleast everyone i have been around and ran have.  One thing to note with the tractors is that while using the diff lock if you touch one of the wheelbrakes it kicks out the diff lock..... I have 1000's of hours running JD farm equipment behind my belt and I can tell ya that if you work em hard enough while using the diff lock they definately bounce like a deer.  ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Sawyerfortyish

I have 2 timberjacks the small one is a 1974 230 it's rears are locked all the time and no I have no problem turnning even with the front tire chains. The other is a 1989 380 and that also has both rears locked all the time

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Coon on September 08, 2010, 12:21:31 AM
I am pretty sure that all JD farm tractors have diff locks..... atleast everyone i have been around and ran have.  One thing to note with the tractors is that while using the diff lock if you touch one of the wheelbrakes it kicks out the diff lock..... I have 1000's of hours running JD farm equipment behind my belt and I can tell ya that if you work em hard enough while using the diff lock they definately bounce like a deer.  ;D
Brad.

The ones before 1960 definitely do not have it, not sure about 1960-72. The diff lock disengages when you tap the brake on models made in Waterloo, but not the ones made in Mannheim, if I recall correctly. Sounds like you've never had one break either?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!