iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toughest post to plate joint?

Started by Satamax, July 17, 2019, 03:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

Well, due to planning permission constraints, i want to build myself a "moveable" deck. 

Basically four 8"x8" posts, about 14ft high. Four "plates" Or end joists, you might call these. These will be 4x12" 16" and 20" long 13 3x8" joists.  of the short dimension 16' long. With 1" 3/4 decking on top. 

All this has to be able to be lifted with my crane of 24T/M 

So i will wind brace it. But, what is the best joint i can use?   I was thinking full lap for the plates,  shouldered vertically into the posts "forks"  As it is done for the ridge beam on a king post's post. 

A bit like this 

But there's four corners. And the plates are shaved each side, of a 1/2 inch or so, to make shoulders which lock on the post outer faces. 

What do you think? 

This would be the traditional way in France. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Don P

Simpler joinery and decreased spans?

Satamax

Quote from: Don P on July 17, 2019, 10:03:30 PM
Simpler joinery and decreased spans?

Thanks a lot Don. Well, i can't really do decreased span, width way, because i want to park my car underneath :D 
As well, it should be liftable with the crane, so real stiff. Also, it has to be "clean" as it's my job too. mostly balconies, stairs, roofs. Bit of stick framing, bit of timber frame. I'm all tooled up. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!